Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 04:45 PM

Default Re: fold AQ with a short stack?

you're absolutely right chop, in the time it took him to tell you to read the book or search he could have typed a simple explanation of what M represents and managed to not seem like a jack-ss all at once

M = your chip stack divided by the sum of the BB + SB + all antes

so if there wasn't any ante your M was 4700/1200 or about 3.9
Old 09-08-2005, 04:48 PM

I've read HOH2 and with the Hero's reads on the UTG raiser as being tight and couldnt see doing w/ AJ or less wouldnt Harrington argue that without the "First In Initiative" our Hero may consider folding in this specific situation? My immediate reaction was to fold, but maybe that's not the best thing to do.

I especially think that the just over 3BB UTG raise is a sign that she may be hoping for a call/raise.

I fold.
Old 09-08-2005, 04:54 PM

Thank you.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:37 PM

This is an easy fold.

Tight early player shows strength with other players left to act. You don’t have enough chips to push someone off a hand. The only reason to play this hand is because of your chip count.

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see her doing this with AJ.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can’t see her playing a hand worse the AJ how can a call/push be reasonable?
Old 09-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Well, right, the only reason to play the hand is because of chip count, but why isn't that a good enough reason?

I don't like to push here, but I really don't like waiting for a better spot with so few chips, either. Sure, you might pick up AA next hand, but your odds of winning the current hand with AQ are a lot better.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:43 PM

I think its pretty close, but I slightly favour a fold here. AQ is pretty sweet with so few chips, but tight player from early position raising, she'd have to have specifically AJ for you to be ahead. I know you'd probably be happy with a coinflip, but I don't see it happening often enough to push here.
Plus, you have a small advantage that your close to the money, so that when you do finally push you might get more folds than usual. This shouldnt be a big factor, but it does help.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well, right, the only reason to play the hand is because of chip count, but why isn't that a good enough reason? .

[/ QUOTE ]

Putting all your chips in when you know you are a significant dog against her range of hands with no folding equity and still being a short stack if you win doesn’t seem like a plus ev play.

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like to push here, but I really don't like waiting for a better spot with so few chips, either. Sure, you might pick up AA next hand, but your odds of winning the current hand with AQ are a lot better.

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn’t wait for better cards I’d wait for a better spot. I’d wait until I could open the pot. Take what ever first in vig I could get (yes I know not much but still…).

I may also enter a multi way pot if I had a decent multi way hand and I could triple up.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you're absolutely right chop, in the time it took him to tell you to read the book or search he could have typed a simple explanation of what M represents and managed to not seem like a jack-ss all at once

M = your chip stack divided by the sum of the BB + SB + all antes

so if there wasn't any ante your M was 4700/1200 or about 3.9

[/ QUOTE ]ok theres a thread about M atleast 3x a week, not that hard to search
Old 09-08-2005, 08:23 PM

You really can't afford the blinds to cut through you again, and you have to hope a better spot will open up between now and the blind, which is only a couple of hands. Most likely scenario is you will be pushing rags into a bunch of people, and even being the initial raiser, you are likely to get called by a wider range given your stack size. You have AQ here, so AA can be dealt 3 ways, QQ can be dealt 3 ways, KK can be dealt 6 ways, JJ + 10/10 + 9/9 can be dealt a total of 18 ways, AK may be dealt 16 ways, and AQ 9 ways.
Hands that badly dominate you (7% to win)= AA, dealt 3 ways
Hands that dominate you (23% to win)= AK, 12 ways
Hands you are 28ish% against= KK, QQ, 9 ways
Hands you are a coinflip against= JJ, 10/10, 9/9, 18 ways

I think its possible villain may have 8's here as well but I will leave it out, however this doesn't seem like a horrendous spot with AQ given hero's chip count and position. And with only a small amount of hands to come, he may be giving himself a better chance to double through than pushing with any two on the next hands. If you had an M of 6 here, folding and waiting for a seemingly better spot would be -more- okay in my book, but I think you don't have that priveledge now, and should be happy to hopefully coinflip if you wan't to give yourself a shot to get back in it.

One last thing, what are the other stack sizes at the table? I know late into many online tournaments I play, 3x BB is actually a very big raise given their poor structure and relative stack sizes being very small. This might not be a very -luring- bet even though it IS 3x BB. Don't know since I dont have the information.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:21 PM

Fenix, I was actually giving the guy a bigger hand range than that. If he's only playing 88+ or AK, AQ, then:

Text results appended to pokerstove.txt

97,601,328 games 0.150 secs 650,675,520 games/sec

Board:
Dead:

equity (%) win (%) tie (%)
Hand 1: 36.5593 % 28.36% 08.20% { AcQd }
Hand 2: 63.4407 % 55.24% 08.20% { 88+, AQs+, AQo+ }

36.5%? Thats pretty lousy equity. You've practically got a better chance going all in blind next time it's folded to you if you factor in the F.E.