Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-06-2005, 10:45 AM

Default Re: Is it possible to win....?

Losing 200 dollars at 2/4 isn't unusual at all, that's just 50BB and can happen fairly often. Make sure you have a big enough bankroll for the limits you're playing. The generally recommended amount is 300BBs which means 600$ at 1/2 and 1200$ at 2/4.
Old 09-06-2005, 12:08 PM

Really lame question. What is a troll as used here?
Old 09-07-2005, 03:14 AM

Guys I couldn't let this thread go without telling you the outcome.

I play on the Internet on my own through circumstance, there are no B&M games near me. I also study on my own and don't have another poker student (I consider myself to be completing my poker apprenticeship at the moment) to confer with. Which is why I posted this thread, I hoped it would draw out the correct answer from me.

To sum up as quickly as I can, I just recently spent a week abroad on holiday reading the excellent (IMHO) Theory of Poker. Of course on returning I want to try out my new found knowledge so I'm playing every spare minute avaiable frequently having early morning sessions on one end of the day to very late sessions at the other with work somewhere sandwiched in between.

At first my play didn't suffer, and I won quite significantly. But of course all the late nights and very early mornings catch up with you sooner or later and my play started to suffer - hence the 50BB loss. I really didn't want to put this down to the cards automatically which is why I posted. In fact poker really became such a part of my daily routine so much so I hadn't realised how much I was playing or how badly!

So I'm not going to play so much. In fact before I went away I'd play for an hour or two each night and I built my bank quite nicely, returning to that this evening. As for where I'm at now, well I've only lost what I won initially through playing too much but still it's a little disappointing.

One good thing to come out of this though is that I'm going to take a look at Poker Tracker and see how this can help me - as recommended above.

Thanks again guys - silly title to the thread perhaps and an obvious answer to a simple problem, but I needed to go through this to plug this leak. Sometimes we can't see the wood for the trees! Cheers. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 03:18 AM

I encourage you to read this (which I just wrote and am shamelessly self-promoting).

...particularly #4...

http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1
Old 09-07-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Really lame question. What is a troll as used here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Internet Troll
Old 09-07-2005, 05:58 AM

Thank you and point taken. And thanks to all who replied and their patience. Getting Ed Miller delivered today, if the Royal Mail are OK so I'll be reading avidly for the next couple of weeks.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 AM

Someone has to win
Old 09-07-2005, 08:04 AM

Take a lot of time and work to get good at this game. If u really are new and u sound like u are, start w/ Getting Started In Holdem and Small Stakes Holdem both by Ed miller.

If you want to get good, yes they are worth it long term. As well as reading the forum.
Old 09-07-2005, 08:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...to be honest I think I play a good game for these limits. I've read David Slansky's Poker Theory... ...I do honestly believe I'm getting 'the best of it'.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
My question is - is it possible to win on these online tables with so many playing so loose?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sing it with me!!

One of these things is not like the other. One of these things just doesn't belong...

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2005, 12:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
my play started to suffer - hence the 50BB loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

As long as you think 50BB is a big loss, one that could only be attributed to poor play, you are going to have problems with the swings you will inevitably face. 100BB downswings are not uncommon. 200BB downswings happen, even to the best players. Yes your play might have (and probably did) suffer, but a 50BB loss is nothing. So, yes, read SSH, but also read here and get used to the idea of bigger swings.