Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 10:39 AM

Default Re: Nut straight in a multi-way pot

[ QUOTE ]
You are *never* taking the pot down with a raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, but I think you hear that from a lot of beginners as a reason to not raise: "I want to keep people in the pot when I have the best hand."

All I was saying is if for some reason everyone reads you for the nuts, realize they're drawing dead, and folds, it isn't the end of the world. But yes, as I pointed out, your equity is huge here, so you should be raising this turn (and re-raising if the opportunity presents itself).
Old 08-29-2005, 10:42 AM

I totally agree you with you here. Not raising here is a HUGE mistake, exactly b/c you're never taking down the pot right here. They don't get much bigger. Button might have a big ace that just hit two pair, bettor to your right maybe has two pair or a set, these other donks might have picked up a flush or gutshow draw, and noone is going anywhere no matter how many bets back to them it is. So you need to get as many bets in as possible. This could easily be a 4-6BB mistake by not raising.
Old 08-29-2005, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would probably check and call the river if a flush card comes(particularly a club) or the board pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is weak/tight. If a scare card comes on the river, I would bet if checked to (and call a raise) or go for overcalls if someone bets ahead of me. Don't be afraid of monsters under the bed.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would probably check and call the river if a flush card comes(particularly a club) or the board pairs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is weak/tight. If a scare card comes on the river, I would bet if checked to (and call a raise) or go for overcalls if someone bets ahead of me. Don't be afraid of monsters under the bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it depends.

If Someone comes over the top of your raise on the turn you are almost certainly against more than just top pair. Sets and Flush draws will happily reraise, especially if there are a couple of callers in there.

If your raise is folded round to the original bettor who calls, be prepared to bet or raise no matter what card comes out.

If the betting gets capped against a few of opponents on the turn, that is a very different scenario. A club or a pair falling there is a very scary proposition. It's not that unlikely that the river card pairs and flushes the board.
Old 08-29-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But you will often fold someone with outs against you. If a raise improves your chance of winning from 60% to 80% then it was well worth it. Pot's big enough to raise for value and to eliminate players.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:49 AM

Great, this thread put my slowplay knowledge into perspective. Thanks.
Btw, this hand example was taken from www.cardplayer.com .
Old 08-30-2005, 04:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But you will often fold someone with outs against you. If a raise improves your chance of winning from 60% to 80% then it was well worth it. Pot's big enough to raise for value and to eliminate players.

[/ QUOTE ]

Normally so but in this case I doubt it, we raise now purely for value, I think. What are we hoping to fold that can outdraw us? No flushdraw will fold, no set, I can't see two pair hands like AJ-JT giving up, and a nuclear explosion wont get someone who's playing T6 preflop and hits 2 pair to fold.

Although a gutshot that we would split the pot with MIGHT fold. That would be nice.