Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-29-2005, 05:34 AM

Default Nut straight in a multi-way pot

You hold Ks Qs. After three limpers, you choose to limp in from the cutoff seat. The button raises, and all the limpers call, as does the big blind. On the flop of Jc 10 c 6d, the big blind and first two limpers check, but the other limper bets.
You decide to call, as does everyone else. The turn is the Ad, giving you the nut straight. Again, the first three players check, and the player to your right bets.
You..?

P.S. If you've seen the outcome posted elsewhere, please don't repost it.

I, personally, would call here 99% of the times.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:38 AM

Default Re: Nut straight in a multi-way pot

Call, hope some1 raises so you can 3bet.

FWIW, I don't think you should be reading advice from anywhere that suggests limping here as a default play.
Old 08-29-2005, 05:52 AM

I can hardly give you an answer because I would have never played any of the hand the same to get to that particular decision.

preflop is astoundingly bad.
the flop call is likely to be expensive as you have the preflop raiser sitting behind you and the limper could have a made hand such as set and pop it for a 3 bet.
I raise the turn 100% of the time here as you have two flush draws on board, plus someone with 2 pair or a set could make a full on the river. I'm not keeping customers in here, I'm trying to take down the pot. Str8's are very easily counterfieted in holdem.
Old 08-29-2005, 06:48 AM

I have around 35% to win at SD after this turn, right?
Old 08-29-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have around 35% to win at SD after this turn, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea.

I take back my flop comments as I didn't realise your str8 draw was open-ended. I thought it was a gutshot for some reason.
On the Turn; You only slowplay when you have a very strong hand that will win the overwhemling majority of the time at showdown and you want to enable people to catch up and make a second-best hand. I know you have the nuts here and you want to keep customers but if they catch up you could well find that your hand is second best. Raise and cap if someone 3bets.
Old 08-29-2005, 07:59 AM

You have a 35% chance of having the stone cold nuts on the river. There are 30 non-blanks that could come on the river that would allow someone to suck out on you.

Flush cards
11 unseen diamonds
11 unseen clubs

Board pairing cards (not double counting the ones in the flush draw)
2 aces
2 jacks
2 tens
2 sixes

Of course, there's no way of knowing if the other people at the table have a set and are looking for the board to pair, or are on a flush draw or a backdoor flush draw. I'm also not bothering to figure out the situations where a K or Q comes on the river (or when an opponent already has KQ) and you split the pot.

So your hand is guaranteed to be the best 35% at the river, but I would suspect it would hold up even more times than that since your opponents are often staying in with TP or drawing dead with the bottom end of the straight draw. Also, the clubs are unlikely to help your opponents since that draw didn't come until the turn.

Edited to add: Actually, your equity here is close to 50%. I'll stop by later to explain, since I'm going to be late for work if I stick around to write it up now.

P.S. I raise here, I'll also explain later.
Old 08-29-2005, 08:44 AM

*waiting for a follow-up*
Old 08-29-2005, 08:58 AM

I'd raise. Flush draws will come along anyway, might as well get them throwing money in. Raising may knock out gutshot draws who are a danger to split with you. Plus this may be your last chance to get bets out of people who aren't going to make their draws. They're not going to call on the river w/ four to a flush but they will on the turn.

The pot here is big on the turn, I am not slowplaying in a pot this big.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:18 AM

I think this hand is a perfect example of a hand not to slowplay. As has been noted, the pot is big, a lot of the hands that are calling are possibly drawing to hand better than yours, and those calling for 1 bet are likely calling for two. Even better you might get callers inbetween and the bettor to your right might 3-bet allowing you to cap it and get everyone to come along in a monster pot that you are a huge favorite to win.
Old 08-29-2005, 09:19 AM

I raise this preflop, call on the flop (and consider value-raising), and raise the turn.