Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-25-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Fish List Maintenance & Table Selection

Yea, at 3/6 I get uneasy if there are more than 2 people with VPIPs in 20-30 range combined with PFR from 10-20 range (2+2 style)...but I am extremely picky with table selection.
Old 08-25-2005, 12:54 AM

sup bro at a 10/20 6max would be stupid of me. It would be a big invitation for "take shots at me by check/raising the turn and leading the river every time".
Old 08-25-2005, 12:56 AM

Fair enough
Old 08-25-2005, 01:03 AM

I make a new database every month, and maybe 1 week into the month, i'll update my buddy list.

I dont take anybody off unless someone is playing a completely better game than they were before. My buddy list is also a pretty hard list to make. Someone will almost have to try to give away money before they make that list.

I used to try to sort out my pokertracker and add everyone with >100 hands and 60vpip to the list...the list got real huge real quick. Seems to work much better when the list is more exclusive.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:25 AM

I'm impressed with the people who can win at tougher games without selectivity. I am definitely not one of them. I pretty much look first for PT rated fish--for vpip 45+ with minute aggression and pfr. Or at higher then 60 vpip just about anybody. People do learn and I remove people from the list when they get more selective or aggressive. 10-20 has good games, but sometimes the weakest fish are surrounded by sharks and those tables are marginally profitable
Old 08-25-2005, 01:53 AM

Thanks for all of your input guys. My fish list has gotten overcrowded and out of date... I will apply some of this new found knowledge and surely win a great deal more $ tomorrow.

Thanks again. =)
Old 08-25-2005, 03:58 AM

I'll be sure to 'sup bro' you the next time I sit at your table.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:00 AM

I've always been somewhat mystefied by those who talk about table selection. I never understood if that meant keeping a careful fish list or a large database with PT.

In any event, at 5/10 now, I really don't see much of a need for it since the players are so bad. I pick tables totally randomly myself.
Old 08-25-2005, 10:19 AM

Here is a good point to consider: At what level of TAG presence does a game become unattractive despite all the fish?

For example, a fellow 2+2'er and I used to play one or two tables together when we were playing the same limits (usually to chase some really good fish... we had a guy who was 75% VPIP and another who was a complete and utter maniac). I found that he and I RARELY got into a pot together when we both had a hand worth a showdown. We've played hundreds of hands together and without softplaying each other I hadn't noticed a significant amount of either of our monies going to one or the other.

That being said, would finding 2-3 TAGs sitting in your fish's game make you want to leave, considering that you and those TAGs may not be involved in a lot of hands together, and you may be able to use your knowledge of their good games to your advantage when you need to isolate a fish or bluff them off a pot?
Old 08-25-2005, 06:51 PM

I do use a buddy list and used to update it manually each day based on VPIP from PT (only measurement it was easy to sort by). Then, I will let Playerview put the stats up on a number of tables and pick based on the stats and on how much money someone has. For example, if a table has a fish with only a small amount of money, I don't chose to sit there.

There is a wonderful script another poker player wrote and posted here that makes it much easier to search for players with VPIP over a number of your choice and then put them into the party buddy list - you don't have to type them in; the program does that. Program is found here:

Auto Import Buddies into Party