Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Buying Outs? Can you help me out?

Look for a hand that doesn't have any showdown value, but could make a hand like top pair weak kicker. Something like JT on an 872 flop. There are lots of overcards that might call 1 but not 2 that you want to fold, like QJ, KJ, QT ... Now you have made it much more likely that a J or T will win you the pot.

Good luck.
Eric
Old 08-24-2005, 02:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Look for a hand that doesn't have any showdown value, but could make a hand like top pair weak kicker. Something like JT on an 872 flop. There are lots of overcards that might call 1 but not 2 that you want to fold, like QJ, KJ, QT ... Now you have made it much more likely that a J or T will win you the pot.

Good luck.
Eric

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep -

I'd also add to make sure you have some secondary draws. In Eric example he has a Gut Shot, for 4 outs.

A combination of Backdoor draws could work as well.

Also, you may get free cards in addition to buying outs.

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 02:14 PM

So basically the equity gained by raising offsets the additional money we put in and the money we lose by driving out other players? I really never know the right time to apply this either.
Old 08-24-2005, 04:01 PM

I think most times you buy outs are situations where you have a fair amount of equity anyways, so you really don't care how many or which players call. In the overcard plus draw situation, you might only be a 2-1 underdog if you just rely on your draw, so you have a fair amount of pot equity anyways. If you can improve any of your overcards, then you might get up to close to even money, so it doesn't matter if they call your raise, or fold, because both are good results for you.