Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 12:23 PM

Default Buying Outs? Can you help me out?

Every once in awhile, I read about buying outs. Yet, I can't think of a single hand I've ever played where buying outs was the reason behind a raise. Of course I don't thoroughly understand this concept other than raise for more outs. Does anyone have an example?

I apologize, cuz part of me feels that this post is lazy, and I should do my own research on this. If you feel that way just ignore this post & let it die.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:31 PM

Default Re: Buying Outs? Can you help me out?

Just a made-up example, not too in depth but points out the purpose of buying outs.

You have AK, your opponent has A3.

The flop is QJ3

You have a gutshot and tainted overcards, someone bets, and you raise to face the A3 with an easy fold, clearing your A as an out.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Just a made-up example, not too in depth but points out the purpose of buying outs.

The flop is QJ3

You have a gutshot and tainted overcards, someone bets, and you raise to face the A3 with an easy fold, clearing your A as an out.

[/ QUOTE ]

what he said.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The flop is QJ3

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I understand. I was looking for more of an example where I prolly would not have raised, but now I'm going to raise b/c I can buy outs. I'm not sure if your example fits that criteria.
Old 08-24-2005, 12:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Every once in awhile, I read about buying outs. Yet, I can't think of a single hand I've ever played where buying outs was the reason behind a raise. Of course I don't thoroughly understand this concept other than raise for more outs. Does anyone have an example?

I apologize, cuz part of me feels that this post is lazy, and I should do my own research on this. If you feel that way just ignore this post & let it die.

[/ QUOTE ]

Vincent, I asked the exact same question a couple of weeks ago as my very first post and got ZERO responses. I've read SSHE and this is the part that was most difficult for me to grasp. What I am looking for is the logic behind buying the outs when you assume you are behind.

Example I hold AJ and the board is Q63 (rainbow) first to act bets. I can see that if someone has A3 that I am in better shape if they fold BUT:

1) How much is that extra 3 outs worth? .5BB 1BB 2BB?
2) Would A3 fold anyway?
3) Should the guy with A3 reraise to fold A9?
4) when specifically is this a good play.

The problem that I have is putting a price on the extra outs and situations where you pay that price.

LLL
Old 08-24-2005, 01:10 PM

Hey Vincent,

I had a 2/4 hand recently where a big part of why I raised was to buy outs. I apologize b/c I can't find the hand. I had a9c in LP. Two early limpers, i limp, sb completes BB raises, everyone calls. It was a jack high flop with two clubs. BB bet, UTG raised, everyone calls. Turn is a blank, BB checks (so I think he has AK or AQ), UTG bets, the pot is big, so I raise to push AK/AQ out in case an ace comes on the river.

Hope that helps!
Old 08-24-2005, 01:21 PM

That's very interesting. Thanks.
Old 08-24-2005, 01:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]

The flop is QJ3

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a poor example. If the pot is small enough that A3 has an easy fold, than cleaning up 2 outs is not worth the money. If it's big enough for your 2 outs to matter, then A3 won't fold. Try again. Here's a hint: you will not hold AK when you make this play.

-Eric
Old 08-24-2005, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hey Vincent,

I had a 2/4 hand recently where a big part of why I raised was to buy outs. I apologize b/c I can't find the hand. I had a9c in LP. Two early limpers, i limp, sb completes BB raises, everyone calls. It was a jack high flop with two clubs. BB bet, UTG raised, everyone calls. Turn is a blank, BB checks (so I think he has AK or AQ), UTG bets, the pot is big, so I raise to push AK/AQ out in case an ace comes on the river.

Hope that helps!

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably the best example so far. But I still don't think it completes the picture.

Off the top of my head.

You hold A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG +1

UTG limps, Hero Limps, folded to CO who raises. SB Folds, BB calls.

Flop comes 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] j[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

BB checks, UTG Bets – Hero Raises.

When it gets to you on the flop there are already 9 SB’s in the pot.

You raise here to buy your Ace outs – even if it looks like you risk losing people who would pay you off if you flush hit. By raising you force the CO into taking about 5:1 if he wants to call. If he calls, that’s “ok” because your flush will come in often enough to make it profitable, but if he folds that’s ok too if your Ace comes on the turn or river, you’ll be glad he’s not there.

What newbies will try to justify is that by not raising, they keep customers in the hand to pay them off if the flush comes. Why not raise and see if you can pick up 3 addtional outs. --

Sarge[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
Old 08-24-2005, 02:00 PM

you limp with KJs, the button raises, and the BB and you call.

The flop comes T92 with two of your suit.

The BB bets out. Now there are a lot of reasons to raise here, but if the button has AK or KQ, and your raise folds them, you have improved the chances that if you catch a king, you will win the hand.

Similarly, anytime you have an Ace high flush draw, you would want better aces to fold so that your ace becomes an out for you instead of them.

I think this play is a major consideration anytime you are playing a draw with overcards, so that you can win by either making your draw, or by pairing one of your overcards.

Usually, when I have a draw, with undercards, I will only raise if I am getting enough action for a value bet on the draw alone.