Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-17-2005, 12:20 AM

Default Re: best simpsons season

[ QUOTE ]
Definitely. It's not the best, that honor is reserved for "And Maggie Makes Three", but it's certainly the funniest.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
season one simpsons is brutally bad imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason to get the season 1 DVD is to listen to the commentary. Matt Groening et al spend much of the commentary apologizing for the quality of the artwork and other things. They're not huge fans of season 1, it would seem.

[/ QUOTE ]

They definitly are not fans of Season 1. In the commentary for the ep. where Homer takes the family for therapy, they keep compaining about how the whole episode has all the characters backwards, and how terrible the annimation is.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Definitely. It's not the best, that honor is reserved for "And Maggie Makes Three", but it's certainly the funniest.

[/ QUOTE ]
I disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh?
Old 08-17-2005, 12:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

One reason to get the season 1 DVD is to listen to the commentary. Matt Groening et al spend much of the commentary apologizing for the quality of the artwork and other things. They're not huge fans of season 1, it would seem.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't agree with that. They're not huge fans of the limited budgets they at first had, or the way their animators were not following directions here and there, making the pupils larger and smaller, etc. They are very big fans of standardizing the animation and getting the artists to stick to the models, and talk a lot about it.

They very tellingly talk about how the shows used to have the space to have reactions between the characters, and to let episodes and scenes take time to develop. They say things like, now we just go bang bang bang, a mile a minute.

I agree. A lot of the best part of comedy, as well as stories in general, is the set-up and the reaction. Now the series is much faster paced, machine-gunning out the jokes. But partially as a result, the characters have become much flatter and more predictable, and many of the scenes feel rushed. The Simpsons family feels much more like a "t.v. family," not a real family, now.

Back in the first seasons, the characters could still go in any direction and surprise you. Everything wasn't nailed down tight into a joke assembly line with stock characters. There was a lot more of the angst and honest anger of Groenig in his early "Life in Hell" cartoon strip days, which remains easily at the very top of what he's ever done.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:25 AM

Episodes I find funnier just in season 8:
TOH
You Only Move Twice
Hurricane Neddy
The Mysterious Voyage of Homer
Itchy and Scratchy and Poochie
Homer's Phobia.

Season 8 is a good one.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They definitly are not fans of Season 1. In the commentary for the ep. where Homer takes the family for therapy, they keep compaining about how the whole episode has all the characters backwards, and how terrible the annimation is.

[/ QUOTE ]

They're artists hypercritical of their own work, and looking back at it from a changed style. Finding fault doesn't mean that either the stuff is bad or that they don't like it. Finding fault with their stuff is what artists DO, the good ones. Hindsight is always 20/20. And of course it's never unbiased; who wants to say, "What I'm doing now is so much worse!"

By the way, that episode was hilarious.

I liked Marge a lot better when she wasn't so perfect. She's a bore now.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:15 AM

Um, sorry for not knowing episode names, but if somebody could direct me to the season(s) with :

Mr. Burns runs for governor

Mr. Burns hits Bart with his car

Bart mobilizes the neighborhood kids against Nelson

The Halloween episode with 'The Shinnin' (You mean 'Shining' .. 'Shhhh! you wanna get sued?'
Old 08-18-2005, 07:07 AM

Season 4 > Season 5 > Season 6 > Season 3 > Season 2 > Season 1
Season 4 is pure gold! Discs 3 and 4 of season 4 and disc 1 of season 5 appear to be when the writers were at their best.
Old 08-18-2005, 11:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Um, sorry for not knowing episode names, but if somebody could direct me to the season(s) with :

Mr. Burns runs for governor

Season 2 (7F01): Two Cars in Every Garage, Three Eyes on Every Fish

Mr. Burns hits Bart with his car

Season 2 (7F10): Bart Gets Hit By A Car

Bart mobilizes the neighborhood kids against Nelson

Season 1 (7G05): Bart the General

The Halloween episode with 'The Shinnin' (You mean 'Shining' .. 'Shhhh! you wanna get sued?'

Season 6 (2F03): Treehouse of Horror V

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-18-2005, 01:07 PM

Sweet, thanks.