Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 04:02 PM

Default best simpsons season

if i'm going to buy one season on dvd, which should it be?
Old 08-16-2005, 04:09 PM

Location: Hurricanes, animal corpses and your potential new tattoo have a lot in common. Think about it.
Default Re: best simpsons season

Season 4, easily. Last Exit to Springfield is worth the price alone. Homer the Heretic, Itchy And Scratchy: The Movie, Mr. Plow, Homer's Triple Bypass, Duffless, and Brother From The Same Planet are all classics.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:16 PM

Just don't buy season one.
Seasons 4 and 5 are the best ones out now.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:20 PM

its kinda late to be warning about season one. but that reminds me that they r getting into the prime seasons now and i should add to the collection that i got when they first came out.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:23 PM

And we'll march day and niiiight near the big cooling tower...
They have the plant...
But we have... the...
power...

Yesss.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:07 PM

I believe simpsons 6 came out <b>today</b>
Old 08-16-2005, 06:22 PM

I'm a big fan of the first two seasons, and I like the first season very much.

The show was much more vicious then, and Marge wasn't nearly completely the hero, nor Homer completely the fool, nor were either Smithers or Mr. Burns nearly as likeable. (Hell, they might as well be the heroes, now.) All the family's characters were less one-note. Now they're more highly defined stock figures you can predictably bounce a particular type of joke off. Very easy to write scripts for where you can just plug in the jokes on auto-pilot.

It was very interesting to watch the series develop. I think people tend to naturally heavily favor a show's development where it was when they first started watching it, if it's at all good there. And the Simpsons is still good. They feel comfy and delighted with the characters and the show they found. But that doesn't mean that all the best decisions were made as the show developed, or that the show didn't have just as much going for it a different way earlier, and couldn't be just as good going yet another different way now.

I'm kind of put in mind of what happened to various shows that got much more popular as they got vastly worse and their characters became much shallower and less interesting: Happy Days(became The Fonzie Show), LaVerne and Shirley(became the Lenny and Squiggy show), Cheers(Sam became an idiot and completely lost his balls), All in the Family(became a dreary soap opera and Archie got dull), Married with Children(Al got nicer, Steve's sharp bitterness got replaced by a goofy pretty boy).

These shows didn't run out of ideas, just changed their emphasis, to their detriment. The Simpsons hasn't crashed nearly as hard, but it was better when it was meaner and the characters more anti-social instead of basically all pretty lovable.

The first and second seasons are definitely worth buying. Any true fan is missing out by not buying them.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Season 4, easily. Last Exit to Springfield is worth the price alone. Homer the Heretic, Itchy And Scratchy: The Movie, Mr. Plow, Homer's Triple Bypass, Duffless, and Brother From The Same Planet are all classics.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-16-2005, 07:43 PM

season 5 is the best so far, but I don't have 6 yet.
Old 08-16-2005, 07:46 PM

6-10 were the best with honorable mention to 4 and 5 and all the ones that came after 10. Especially after Family Guy started and they started incorporating references to that show. Buy 6 if it is out. Then buy 5, then 4 then 3 then 2 then stop.
and I figure I should list my credentials to say this being that I pretty well know every episode back and forth cuz I'ma loser and like the Simpsons.