Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 01:48 PM

Default Re: 40-80 K5s

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop: I think K5s normally should be openraised from the hijack. However, with the described cutoff and button, I think it's a fold. The reason to play K5s from the hijack is to steal the blinds, and with the described cutoff and button, that's less likely to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it'd be hard to find a southern cali 6-handed 40-80 game where you have a significant chance of stealing the blinds with mike l.'s image from the hijack seat. I fold preflop. Look at the mess you get into by not folding preflop.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:50 PM

As there is one guy between him and the button, and one between the button and him, it would appear the odds of limiting the field would be equal were he to bet or to check-raise. But if limiting the field is his goal, I think betting would be slightly better, as the cut-off would be faced with a bet not knowing if two players behind him will raise.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As there is one guy between him and the button, and one between the button and him, it would appear the odds of limiting the field would be equal were he to bet or to check-raise. But if limiting the field is his goal, I think betting would be slightly better, as the cut-off would be faced with a bet not knowing if two players behind him will raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you may be right with the "slightly better" comment here; but I'd still rather check with the intention of folding or checkraising (depending on the action behind me) b/c it gives me the possibility of getting out at no additional cost if action behind me heats up. The only problem with this approach is in the one scenario where button bets as planned but BB calls. In that situation, my action is probably highly dependent on my read of BB. If BB calls any flop, I may continue my checkraise. Outside of that scenarios, I think checking yields the best results.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:33 PM

I like it, but it seems fairly standard against a player on tilt. It's awesome that you got it heads up on the flop.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I like it, but it seems fairly standard against a player on tilt. It's awesome that you got it heads up on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the part that confuses me.

Lawrence
Old 08-16-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I agree. I'd bet the flop since you know button is going to raise which might fold BB. The cuttoff might fold to the bet since he knows its going to be a rough ride with mikel betting into him and tilty behind him (sucks to be him).

But check-raising flop worked. Then call down, which, since you know its going to get bet there is no fear of free card. A bets going in on turn and river.

Oh, I fold preflop I think, I can't remember the exact hand or situation here (six handed from the hijack I think)...he had KX suited or something. I just wait for a hand that is profitable for me, like, a good hand or something.
Old 08-16-2005, 04:40 PM

after raising preflop, do you care to suggest an alternate line to the one you took?? b/c i frankly dont see one.

-Barron
Old 08-16-2005, 05:01 PM

"Isn't this the major problem with playing Q-6 and K-5 and such?"

problem? how so? i have a pair and the opportunity to let some dingaling randomly sling chips at me hoping ill fold. how is that bad?
Old 08-16-2005, 05:07 PM

"If an A, J, T dropped on the river instead of the Q, can or do you fold?"

if a T comes i probably win the hand because i make a straight. if an A falls i check-fold although after thinking about it i think betting is better against this player. if a J comes it's the same as a Q coming and i call.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:45 PM

Looks standard to me.