Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-16-2005, 05:47 AM

Default 40-80 K5s

here's one from earlier tonight. great live 40-80 game 6 handed, i openraise from hijack w/ Kd5d, cutoff fish calls, button 3 bets. the button is tilty every hand and very laggy sorta guy, he's kind of tricky and clever too though. anyway he's pulling out thousand dollar commerce chips (the game is not at commerce but they play where we are) and spewing them about to the rest of the table like theyre candy i think he's on his third or fourth one. so anyway he 3 bets, the bb calls, i call, c/o calls. 4 of us.

flop is QJ5 rainbow one of my suit. checked to button who bets, bb folds, i checkraise, cutoff folds, button 3 bets, i call.

the turn is a 9. i check, he bets, i call.

river is a Q. i check, he bets, i call.

comments?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:11 AM

Default Re: 40-80 K5s

[ QUOTE ]
here's one from earlier tonight. great live 40-80 game 6 handed, i openraise from hijack w/ Kd5d, cutoff fish calls, button 3 bets. the button is tilty every hand and very laggy sorta guy, he's kind of tricky and clever too though. anyway he's pulling out thousand dollar commerce chips (the game is not at commerce but they play where we are) and spewing them about to the rest of the table like theyre candy i think he's on his third or fourth one. so anyway he 3 bets, the bb calls, i call, c/o calls. 4 of us.

flop is QJ5 rainbow one of my suit. checked to button who bets, bb folds, i checkraise, cutoff folds, button 3 bets, i call.

comments?

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you played the turn correctly.
Old 08-16-2005, 06:32 AM

Preflop: I think K5s normally should be openraised from the hijack. However, with the described cutoff and button, I think it's a fold. The reason to play K5s from the hijack is to steal the blinds, and with the described cutoff and button, that's less likely to happen.

Flop: Definitely correct. You need to knock people out.

Turn: Mandatory call with your pair and gutshot.

River: Well if it were not for the 9 on the board this would be a mandatory bluff-catching payoff as you are ahead of a bunch of semibluffing hands on the flop -- AK, KT, T9, AT, K9. However with the 9 out there, you are now behind all of the above except AK. So this is a close decision. I'm not going to tell you your call was wrong. But if you had folded, I wouldn't tell you that was wrong either.

Two questions to help on the river decision:

1) Is the button the type to check ace high on the end, hoping it will win a showdown?

2) Is the button the type to play the hand that way with total garbage (i.e. J6o)?
Old 08-16-2005, 06:42 AM

The only questionable thing about this particular hand against this line up is the flop check-raise. I'm still wondering whether Mike should have just bet out or just call the button's flop bet as oppose to check-raising.

Lawrence
Old 08-16-2005, 08:46 AM

The PF raise seems very bad to me.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:57 AM

I think this is a fine line against a loose cannon. You will likely lose on the end, but he will show you ace high nothing (or something like that) enough to make the call profitable.

Jeff
Old 08-16-2005, 01:04 PM

"the turn is a 9. I check, he bets, i call. river is a Q. i check, he bets, i call."

Isn't this the major problem with playing Q-6 and K-5 and such?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:35 PM

If you want to get to showdown, why don't you bet the flop to try and limit the field, or to see whats up with everybody else in the field.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]

comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

I plays this hand like this all the time, never sure if I like it or not. My question for you it...If an A, J, T dropped on the river instead of the Q, can or do you fold?
Old 08-16-2005, 01:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you want to get to showdown, why don't you bet the flop to try and limit the field, or to see whats up with everybody else in the field.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he'd be more successful in limiting the field by check-raising, as he did. Also, by checking he can see if CO leads, or if BB check raises -- which in each case would likely mandate a fold.