Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 07:47 PM

Default Re: 2nd 300+ BB downswing, is there something that I\'m not getting?

you aren't going to get any responses posting that many hands at the same time. Pick one, maybe 2, and put them up.

As bernie noted, however, it is equally important to respond to other peoples hand, and hear what others have to say about your analysis.

lf
Old 08-03-2005, 07:56 PM

I will start participating more actively in the strategy forums.

and a lot of my hands I see my mistakes but I was playing awful from the beats I think.

the general consensus seems to be that I should sit out from poker for a fair amount of time. Hard to do when poker has been all I've been doing daily for the past 14 months.

Anyhow I'm going to take a few days off from poker completly, go play some omaha hi lo for a bit then return to limit holdém, guess this would be the best line.
Old 08-03-2005, 08:03 PM

Man, the last two days on this forum has been depressing. All across the board its about downswings, downswings, downswings. I dont mind, but its kind of like infomercials late at night...impossible to avoid.

Not complaining, its just depressing.
Old 08-03-2005, 11:07 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
it is equally important to respond to other peoples hand, and hear what others have to say about your analysis

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say it's more important. If anything, because it teaches you to analyze others hands' around you, not just your own. Which you should be doing on a table when you're playing in sizing up the competition.

You also will have many more hands to comment on other than just your own. You can learn a helluva lot more from other peoples hands than just sticking to your own.

b
Old 08-03-2005, 11:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Man, the last two days on this forum has been depressing. All across the board its about downswings, downswings, downswings. I dont mind, but its kind of like infomercials late at night...impossible to avoid.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's depressing. I think of it as a splash of reality.

b
Old 08-03-2005, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's depressing. I think of it as a splash of reality.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Ive never had a 300bb downswing, let alone being topped off with a 500bb downswing. Its possible...but I have to think its related to how OP has been playing. I imagine this could happen if u are playing good...but I would think its more likely due to not playing to hot at the tables.
Old 08-04-2005, 01:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
These are all 30-60 hands, mostly 4 tabling, occasionally I add more. APH is 6.70

I would also recommend single tabling it for a while so you can focus more on your decisions. Sometimes 4 tabling your decisions get rushed, reads are off and on bad streaks your tilt can be bad... atleast for me it is and I notice a huge difference in my game when I single table
Old 08-04-2005, 01:40 AM

after reviewing some more hands thruoighout the day ive noticed a lot of overplay and calldowns in spots I normally wouldn't.

So I guess I wasn't playing too hot in the last 3-4k hands of my loss resulting in at least 100BB more of a loss than I should've had.

But really the beats were just unreal for 400 of the 500 BBs.
Old 08-04-2005, 02:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but I have to think its related to how OP has been playing. I imagine this could happen if u are playing good...but I would think its more likely due to not playing to hot at the tables.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I agree. That's why I said it was a splash of reality.

Everyone thinks they're playing top notch/mistake free when they're winning. How often do we see the posts saying that even though the poster is on a bad swing, they 'know' they are winning players...
I think I saw 3 in the past week alone. All with under 100 or less posts under their belts.

It's one reason I like to see these threads. So the posters who come on after a shortterm upswing might get a titch of a clue before they hit their downswing and start their own running bad thread. Of course, that would take getting involved in threads other than the ones one starts themselves.

Seems the trend is in the 1st 100 posts someone has to say how great they are, how loose games can't be beat, or fall a bit to reality by posting a bad swing thread.

The quicker one falls to earth, the quicker their game will advance, imo. The above may or may not pertain to the OP. Just some general thoughts. I think the OP is on the right track.

b
Old 08-04-2005, 05:50 AM

too many hands means no responses, but I'll take on the first and last (random choice)....

first hand

erm ugh I'm not 3-betting with Kings when there's an Ace on the board and it's raised to me on a coordinated board. I can't see where the 3rd player goes on the flop/turn, but if you're going to fold the place to do it is on the turn, not the river. Were you calling for your 2 outs?!

Last hand

Looks fine. You're going to lose to 42 here once in a blue moon. Mostly you'll be seeing slow-player overpairs, AT or two pair hands thinking they're good playing back at you like this.