Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 09:29 AM

Default 2nd 300+ BB downswing, is there something that I\'m not getting?

I suffered a loss of -350 BB back in early June and I managed to recover from it with a steady hard week of playing.

My most recent losing streak of the past 6-7 days has got me totally lost.

The loss has now surpassed -500 BB and I just can't seem to do anything right. I finally got a decent couple sessions in yesterday thinking i've broken my losing streak by making back 36 BB only to drop another 135 BB today.

Have I been losing so many hands to bad beats that I'm just not playing properly or was I on a good run and am now losing due to poor play in a few spots. I've been playing online 10-20 and above for the last 14 months and have been a decent winner in all the games.

But when I lose on the river to royal flushes twice in my last 10k hands, something just doesn't seem right.

Here are my stats below, am I just running really really bad and need to keep shooting through this or is it time to drop a limit for a bit and re-evaluate my game.

Any advice and comments will be appreciated!

(12k of my hands played are 4 handed or less and half of my hands are 6handed or less)

Old 08-03-2005, 09:51 AM

Default Re: 2nd 300+ BB downswing, is there something that I\'m not getting?

Dropping down in limits might be a good idea. Also, try sometimes it is nice to try a different game or perhaps play a few tournaments to gain some perspective.

You really need to post some hands in order to get feedback from all the solid poker minds that patrol these forums. This will help you examine your play objectively and identify your leaks.

Also, you seem to be too results-oriented. Your post makes it sound as though you measure your success from session-to-session or week-to-week. Start keeping track by the month or even year, and do not let the swings affect your game.

Have fun!
Old 08-03-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...and do not let the swings affect your game.

Have fun!

[/ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahahahha. Wow, seriously. The guy dropped 350bbs in June and has now lost 500bbs now...I think thats huge cause for concern...how can u not let that effect your game, alot of players would probably be broke at that point.

To the OP...post some hands, you also seem pretty loose preflop (if we are talking full games here), you also seem to be going to showdown a bit much.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:13 AM

I have been doing every possible relaxing thing I know to not go insane from the beats I've been taking between my poker sessions and if these beats continue at this rate for another week I probably will end up losing my roll.

What kind of hands would be good to post? Posting a bunch of bad beat hand histories isn't going to help me too much I think.

and my stats for full games are more along the lines of
18% Vpip, 12.5% PFR
Old 08-03-2005, 10:21 AM

You are insanely tight if you average around, what, 5 players at the table? What limit are you playing? How many tables?

Hire a coach to review 500 hands or observe an hour of your play. My guess is you have multiple leaks that will take time for posters to recognize if you post one hand at a time.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:22 AM

Im headed to bed and will check this later. But how is your game? Honestly, do you think you are playing well at this point...are u paying off to much, not folding enough?

Two streaks like that in a row, maybe it could just be an unbeliviable bad run, but it has to be more than that, at least I think so...but Im not in your shoes, so I dont know.

Post hands you have questions about...any you are not to sure on. I dont have much experience with swings this large though (cant wait though). Any type of swings Ive had, a decent amount lost has is due to variance, etc...but almost half of that was due to my play that needed work.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:26 AM

I agree with Chicago. Its definitly something postflop that is going on.

As far as a coach.... Joe Tall
Old 08-03-2005, 10:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hahahahahahahha. Wow, seriously. The guy dropped 350bbs in June and has now lost 500bbs now...I think thats huge cause for concern...how can u not let that effect your game, alot of players would probably be broke at that point.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've been through plenty of swings myself, and what I have learned is that:

- things will get better if I constantly evaluate my play
- things will not get better if I stop having fun and let the swings keep me from playing my best game.

As we all know, the downswings can brutal and unpredictable. If the OP is not having fun, maybe he needs to reevaluate his approach to and aptitude for the game.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I have been doing every possible relaxing thing I know to not go insane from the beats I've been taking between my poker sessions and if these beats continue at this rate for another week I probably will end up losing my roll.

What kind of hands would be good to post? Posting a bunch of bad beat hand histories isn't going to help me too much I think.

and my stats for full games are more along the lines of
18% Vpip, 12.5% PFR

[/ QUOTE ]

Drop down while you still have a roll; your solid play will eventually get you back up to your current level.

Post interesting hands immediately after you play them. Post hands that where you question your play. Post hands that you are still thinking about a week later.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:36 AM

your Won at showdown is distressing, it looks like you're either running horrible or going to showdown too much, because you play short so often i can't be sure if your went to showdown is too high though