Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Counter or Taker?.
I count outs on every hand and double check before I click my action. I don't mind almost timing out. 16 7.96%
I just RAISE or FOLD. Why count?. 19 9.45%
What is an out?. 11 5.47%
It's all intuitive and automatic now. 83 41.29%
I count ocassionally on multiway pots. 72 35.82%
Voters: 201. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-25-2005, 03:19 PM

Default Re: Is this unethical?

You're not really trying to equate them, are you?

Now, if there are laws about reselling works, or license agreements involved, then you could have a point.

Otherwise, one is theft and the other is legal commerce.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I know, fine they have some value, but IMO its fairly small.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we're back to the "damages" argument again.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-25-2005, 03:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I love going to batting cages. It's a good way to get some stress out, and get a little bit of petty larceny while I'm at it.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP

[ QUOTE ]
My co-workers seemed to be split on the issue. About half of them thought this was flat-out stealing, another half thought that if extra tokens were so easy to obtain, then I'd be a fool to not get them and try to use them. What say you?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeezus...you're all teachers?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I know, fine they have some value, but IMO its fairly small.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we're back to the "damages" argument again.... [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]I am just talking about the relative value of the token.
Old 07-25-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Jeezus...you're all teachers?

[/ QUOTE ]

Best reply of the thread.

[i] (It would be really funny if one of the "go ahead and steal" advocates was the ethics teacher...)
Old 07-25-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you answer that this is stealing, don't forget to delete any mp3's you have downloaded over the years tonight before you go to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the same because if you're playing in a batting cage, that means that someone else can't, so you're not just not paying, you're actively preventing someone else from paying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this point of view, although, tend to disagree and think it is simple symatecs.

The fact that one product is of limited availability does not lessen the degree of theft in the eyes of the law. They are both certainly theft.

However, theft for personel use has existed, to some degree or another, in all walks of life throughout history.

When theft becomes for profit is when we have a real problem.

If the person were to purchase said tokens and then proceed to set-up-shop outside an establishment selling them for a discount, it would be a completely different story...

But people have been hoping the turn-styles in subways and kids have been sneaking onto golf courses for years and that is essentially what this is.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what if everyone using this batting cage did this just for their own "personal use"? Then the batting cage owner loses all his profit. So setting up a business to make positive profit by the theft is wrong, but casuing negative profit to an existing business is OK?
Old 07-25-2005, 03:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, keep in mind that I'm not saying that what I did was right. I realize that it's theft.

[/ QUOTE ]

Kinda answered your own question, huh?

JunkHead
Old 07-25-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are also many of us that do recognize that downloading music illegally is stealing, and as such don't do it. I pay for all the music I own.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 07-25-2005, 03:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If you answer that this is stealing, don't forget to delete any mp3's you have downloaded over the years tonight before you go to bed.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not the same because if you're playing in a batting cage, that means that someone else can't, so you're not just not paying, you're actively preventing someone else from paying.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand this point of view, although, tend to disagree and think it is simple symatecs.

The fact that one product is of limited availability does not lessen the degree of theft in the eyes of the law. They are both certainly theft.

However, theft for personel use has existed, to some degree or another, in all walks of life throughout history.

When theft becomes for profit is when we have a real problem.

If the person were to purchase said tokens and then proceed to set-up-shop outside an establishment selling them for a discount, it would be a completely different story...

But people have been hoping the turn-styles in subways and kids have been sneaking onto golf courses for years and that is essentially what this is.

[/ QUOTE ]

So what if everyone using this batting cage did this just for their own "personal use"? Then the batting cage owner loses all his profit. So setting up a business to make positive profit by the theft is wrong, but casuing negative profit to an existing business is OK?

[/ QUOTE ]

You've got to love extremists.

Yes, your implication is technically correct. And if every kid in the neighborhood, all at once, went to the golf course and hopped the fence...we would have a problem.

Happy?

Luckily, we don't live in such a black n' white society. Not everyone that has ever scalped a ticket is going to go stand in line and buy them all up so he/she can scalp them all.

So many bubbleboys, so little time...
Old 07-25-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And while you have a good point, stealing is still stealing, regardless of the amount of damage. If the damage is large degrees of greater damage, the penalties should be greater.

Other than that, one cannot rationalize theft based on cost.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never implied you could.