Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 01:36 AM

Default Re: AJo flops TP.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I limp with AJ in EP. I think most 2+2ers will tell you to raise. meh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think its one of those hands that everyone has an opinion on. For me, AJo in EP my favorite play is to fold, followed by raising, with calling in last place. With AJs, its raising, followed by calling, with folding in last place. Weird, huh?

[/ QUOTE ]
The tighter a table plays, the more inclined I am to raise AJo in early position. That said, there are very few times I limp it, anyway. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

AJo isn't a very good multiway hand. I'd raise or fold it, 99% raise.

btw, I'd be very surprised if a .05/.10 table was "tight", even at Ultimate Bet [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm WA/WB this hand, even with this many players. I'd rather they stay and pad the pot, as I think most are drawing pretty thin, and they make for some dead money in case we are owned by AK or something.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:55 AM

The tighter a table plays, the more inclined I am to raise AJo in early position.

Huh?

I'd rather limp AJo at a tight table then raise. The goal is to keep the pot small and then auto bet the flop. Fold AJo at a tough table, but those aren't very common. You also have to understand that I will be limping lots of super good hands at tight tables too (like AA and AKs) so it isn't like I'm weakish when I limp up front. There are many other things that you can do when the table is tight (like check/raise the flop with nothing from the BB on a 753 board after 2 tight players limp in EP and MP) that you can't swing at a loose table.

You should be raising AJo at a loose table because you will get coldcalled with 86s and A5o and [censored]. Yay $$$$, holla.

Brad
Old 07-18-2005, 06:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The tighter a table plays, the more inclined I am to raise AJo in early position.

Huh?

I'd rather limp AJo at a tight table then raise. The goal is to keep the pot small and then auto bet the flop. Fold AJo at a tough table, but those aren't very common. You also have to understand that I will be limping lots of super good hands at tight tables too (like AA and AKs) so it isn't like I'm weakish when I limp up front. There are many other things that you can do when the table is tight (like check/raise the flop with nothing from the BB on a 753 board after 2 tight players limp in EP and MP) that you can't swing at a loose table.

You should be raising AJo at a loose table because you will get coldcalled with 86s and A5o and [censored]. Yay $$$$, holla.

Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

a couple new lines to think about. interesting. can i figure this is due to the Ace and since most tight tables will be close to HU, you can win UI? my instinct is to be less creative with KK or KJo for this simple fact- correct?
Old 07-18-2005, 02:08 PM

Blind:

Bet out on this flop. The pot is large, so your bet alone isn't going to protect your hand. However, MP3 3-bet pf. Hopefully, he'll raise facing the field with two cold. But if you check and he bets, all a raise from you will do is trap the field, giving everyone odds to draw to everything.

Turn is good. You've got top pair with a good kicker, and CO might have bet the flop looking for a free card here. Don't give it to him.

River check/call is fine.
Old 07-18-2005, 02:18 PM

You beat me to it. Tehmatt managed to be about exactly opposite of correct [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To everyone who wants to lead the flop and hope the preflop 3 bettor raises. If he raises, don't you think we shouldn't be in love with our hand? The play is check. I thought OP played it pretty well actually, though I would checkraise the flop.

-DeathDonkey
Old 07-18-2005, 02:58 PM

You need to bet the flop for protection. You have a strong hand in a large pot but are very vulnerable to draws. With the preflop 3-better on your immediate left, you should bet the flop and expect MP1 to raise, giving the field ~8:1, enough to force bad calls for people drawing to straights.

Your stop and go action on the turn looks a little weird given your flop play, but betting out is right. I'm not sure why you're not more worried about CO, who clearly has some kind of hand or strong draw.

The check/call is alright on the river. I can see a bet as reasonable as well.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
To everyone who wants to lead the flop and hope the preflop 3 bettor raises. If he raises, don't you think we shouldn't be in love with our hand? The play is check. I thought OP played it pretty well actually, though I would checkraise the flop.-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

That may be true, but we don't have any draws. As such, we need to hope that the AJ holds up UI. Every fold is one more person that can't draw out, giving us a better chance of winning at the end.

With a check raise, people are going to be trapped, so more people are going to the end, and I'm not comfortable enough with AJ to encourage people to stay in the pot. The only comforting fact is that even a one-card straight draw isn't going to be too likely with the pf raising.

Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the way Hero played it. Just do the single bet on the flop, wait for a non-diamond, and then go for it.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You beat me to it. Tehmatt managed to be about exactly opposite of correct [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

To everyone who wants to lead the flop and hope the preflop 3 bettor raises. If he raises, don't you think we shouldn't be in love with our hand? The play is check. I thought OP played it pretty well actually, though I would checkraise the flop.

-DeathDonkey

[/ QUOTE ]

Couple questions:
1) Would you check-raise if the pre-flop 3-bettor bet instead of CO, and what about the rest of the hand if the pre-flop 3-bettor kept the lead?

2) As far as not being in love with our hand if we lead and get raised, that makes sense. But what about leading for value because we might have the best hand?

OK, that was really 3 questions [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]. Thanks.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 PM

You need to bet the flop for protection. You have a strong hand in a large pot but are very vulnerable to draws. With the preflop 3-better on your immediate left, you should bet the flop and expect MP1 to raise, giving the field ~8:1, enough to force bad calls for people drawing to straights.

Okay so you bet out, MP1 raises and everyone else folds. Now what?

The pot is too big to 3-bet "for information" here. If he caps you are going to have to call and then call again on 4th street to try and spike a jack. If the pot were smaller, this might be an okay time to use this play but again it depends. The other problem with 3-betting is that he might just call you down with AQ or AK. So much for information...

Are you going to calldown the flop raise and hope he has KK or QQ? Are you going to fold the turn UI?

I would check the flop and see what happens. The pot will likely be to big to do anything but call if the PFR bets. You will be closing the action, so you won't be able to protect anything by raising, and you can't really check/raise for information since you will make the pot so big that you will have to call all the way in attempt to hit a jack. After you call on the flop, re-evaluate your options on 4th street. If the PFR doesn't bet and someone else does you should raise to try and knock the PFR out. If he has a hand like K [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] you will be pricing him in the pot by calling. Raise to try and knock him out and be careful if he coldcalls and wakes up on 4th street.

Brad
Old 07-18-2005, 03:40 PM

Dear Sir/misses:

On behalf of my client Klepton I am posting to inform you of unauthorized duplication of an avatar.

We are demanding immediate deavatarization, of this:

You have 24 hours to comply, or charges will be filed.