Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-13-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Re: Lack of Patriot Act hurts the UK

[ QUOTE ]
None of our actual Patriots, the founding fathers or the football team members, would say that the Patriot Act is mighty.

In fact, our founding fathers might find its title rather ironic. The football team would wonder what ironic meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to remember that sarcasm doesn't always translate well to online forums. You're post is dead on though.
Old 07-13-2005, 04:14 PM

No, no...I caught the sarcasm fine. I just chose to ignore it to make my zinger stronger. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 07-13-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
None of our actual Patriots, the founding fathers or the football team members, would say that the Patriot Act is mighty.

In fact, our founding fathers might find its title rather ironic. The football team would wonder what ironic meant.

[/ QUOTE ]

of course unless you have devised a time machine this is only conjecture. It is impossible to know how they would react to 9/11.

One could surmise that they would strongly feel that it should be the elected leaders of the day and not the ghosts from days past who determine public policy.

However if we are to live the strict designs of the founding fathers shouldn't we then role back all laws enacted after their death?
Old 07-14-2005, 09:15 AM

We already have prevention of terrorism laws we do not need a similar act to the patriotism one.

The UK has a decent record of tracking down and preventing attacks but on this one it sounds like even with the laws in place in the US these four people could not have been stopped. One worked in his family shop the other in the local chippy and one at a local school (whos wife was pregnant) none of them were miltitant in actions some had travelled to Pakistan (which isnt unusual for those with PAkistani decendants) from what has come out so far there was nothing to tip the police off.

Cutting down the rights of the people to me is a sign of giving in to the terrorists I suspect even in these coming weeks after the attack there would be a great deal of resistance to any draconian laws being passed in Parliment.
Old 07-14-2005, 10:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We already have prevention of terrorism laws we do not need a similar act to the patriotism one.

The UK has a decent record of tracking down and preventing attacks but on this one it sounds like even with the laws in place in the US these four people could not have been stopped. One worked in his family shop the other in the local chippy and one at a local school (whos wife was pregnant) none of them were miltitant in actions some had travelled to Pakistan (which isnt unusual for those with PAkistani decendants) from what has come out so far there was nothing to tip the police off.

Cutting down the rights of the people to me is a sign of giving in to the terrorists I suspect even in these coming weeks after the attack there would be a great deal of resistance to any draconian laws being passed in Parliment.

[/ QUOTE ]

No they are coming shortly, Blair has an ugly opportunity to press them through, none of his political opponents can afford to disagree with him for fear of censure in the press.

Most unthinking people will not see it as a problem, which for them at the moment it isn't, you have nothing to hide you have nothing to fear right? This is where I disagree, I don't want my conversations, and e-mail correspondence records kept, I don't want to produce ID for no reason other than the whims of Sergeant Pepper and Colonel Mustard. I don't want the state interferring in my harmless legal activities to such an extent. I don't want to be arrested without charges, and held for an indeterminate amount of time, with no access to legal representation, I also don't want this happening to others in my country, this is a much bigger fear than the fear of terrorism.

What if we elected a complete nutter, who decided anyone who disagreed with him was a terrorist, the laws would already be in place, the world wouldn't even notice.

Regards Mack
Old 07-14-2005, 11:04 AM

I was under the impression that it the proposal was for suspected terrorists although I havent looked at the new proposal this was what was proposed in the last bill. Althoiugh I guess there is nothing to stop it form being imposed on "normal" people when it becomes law.

They could include:

Banning possession or use of specified articles or substances

Prohibiting the use of certain services, such as internet or phones

Restricting work or business

Restricting association or communication with certain individuals, or other people generally

Restricting the person's place of residence or who is allowed into the premises

Requiring the person to be at specified places or in a particular area at certain times or days

Restricting movements within the UK or international travel

A specific 24-hour ban on movements

Requiring the surrendering of a passport

A requirement to give access to specified people to his home

A requirement to allow officials to search his home

A requirement to let officials remove items from premises for tests

A requirement to be monitored by electronic tagging or other means

A requirement to provide information to an official on demand

A requirement to report at a specified time and place
Old 07-14-2005, 11:32 AM

"Those who trade freedom for safety deserve neither."

-Ben Franklin

BGC wants to turn the US into a totalitarian state in the name of the war on terra. He probobly believes that our freedoms come from gawd and not from the blood of young boys.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:34 AM

LOL

Name one right you've had violated

-Matt
Old 07-14-2005, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
LOL

Name one right you've had violated

-Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, i'd rather wait until its too late.
Old 07-14-2005, 03:39 PM

You are by far one of the largest sources of party based ignorance in this forum (well... aside from Dead). The UK set up numerous camera systems in public locations during the IRA years... if that didnt help how will a law that allows the government to check your library list help? I'd like you to explain exactly how the USA Patriot act will confound terrorists from striking the US ever again and will prevent a determined, well funded, and oh yeah "willing to die to accomplish their mission" group from harming American citizens. Or, while youre doing federally monitored research at your local library, find a situation where tighter social controls do anything but harm society (in that I mean stop all of the terrorist/rebel/partisan/random small dedicated group attacks) [this from a party that stands for individual rights].

PS: I'm a registered Republican; no need to try calling me a liberal and attempt to dodge the responsibility you've staked out by claiming that the Patriot act saves lives.