Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2005, 12:02 AM

Default Back to the ranch

I'm sure you guys are familiar with the players waiting till the turn to bet thier 3 kings. That is why I like a call here. Against habitual callers you are not getting another ace to fold, or anyone with 2 diamonds. But a smooth call should get a weaker hands (like a mid to small pocket pair) to stay in the hand and make the pot bigger. A raise gives also gives the bettor the chance to 3 bet if he has a K. You are most likely either way behind, or tied. That is why the decision is either call or fold. If you want to stay in, since there are only so many Aces in the deck, you want overcalls. Against stronger opponents, i like a fold. Against weaker players, call and entice them to call -- they are drawing nearly dead and don't realize it. (Unless they have a flush draw, in which case they are not folding anyhow.)

Does this make sense?
Old 07-12-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Raise or fold?

I like a call here too. We're not folding any hands we beat, but by raising we can certainly fold hands we are beating. I'd rather the hands we are beating stick around and continue to pad the pot for us.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:40 AM

Calling is far superior IMO. At least you have a chance to chop everyone else's money. Raising will knock donators out, leaving you either paying rake or just dumping.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:46 AM

I'd raise here since I have position.

If you get reraised you fold since you're beat.
If he calls he's unlikely to bet into you again on the river
and you can just check it down to see if your ace is good.
Total cost is 2BB. By raising you also make it really expensive for someone to draw to the flush.

If you simply call you will most likely have to pay a bet on the river again so the net amount you have to pay will be 2BB anyway.

Calling just to get other people to contribute to a possible
split pot is not going to help you much. Most will fold unless they have the ace in this case.

If noone has the K your raise may even get people to believe that you were the one who slowplayed and someone with an ace may fold.
Old 07-12-2005, 09:00 AM

I don't see why you would consider anything but calling here. You have to call, it's much better than folding or raising.
Old 07-12-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd raise here since I have position.

If you get reraised you fold since you're beat.
If he calls he's unlikely to bet into you again on the river
and you can just check it down to see if your ace is good.
Total cost is 2BB. By raising you also make it really expensive for someone to draw to the flush.

If you simply call you will most likely have to pay a bet on the river again so the net amount you have to pay will be 2BB anyway.

Calling just to get other people to contribute to a possible
split pot is not going to help you much. Most will fold unless they have the ace in this case.

If noone has the K your raise may even get people to believe that you were the one who slowplayed and someone with an ace may fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

bjarne makes some good points. I am changing my opinion from call to raise.