Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Liberal Blind Defense

Party 30/60
Two late posters, TAG in MP open raises, folded to me in BB, I call with 52o.
Flop:
A99 with a 2 flush I have no piece of.
I bet, TAG raises, I 3bet, TAG caps, I fold.

Does anyone not call here preflop getting 5.5:1?
Was my attempt to take it away on the flop unreasonable?
Old 07-07-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Liberal Blind Defense

[ QUOTE ]
Was my attempt to take it away on the flop unreasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but only because you couldn't "accidentally" show your hand when you folded.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:08 PM

I'm not trying to advertise. I think this is a +EV line.
Old 07-07-2005, 04:31 PM

your position sucks, and so does your hand. i don't get it.
Old 07-07-2005, 05:08 PM

Preflop I'm getting 5.5:1 on my call. Occasionally I'll flop a hand I can profitably show down. Most of the rest of the time I'll try to bluff at the pot on the flop, either with a c/r or bet/3bet. If 2 high cards flop I'll just checkfold.
Basically, the pot is sufficiently large from the posters and the raiser's hand is likely to be sufficiently weak that I am deciding preflop to run a (semi)bluff. Taking into account the various possible lines that involve my checkraising or bet/3betting the flop and following through on the turn I'm getting very roughly 2 : 1 on trying to take down this pot plus some value from being able to actually make a winner and get it paid off from time to time.
Old 07-07-2005, 11:17 PM

sounds like you have already made up your mind, so what are you asking?

unless the TAG plays bad postflop, you have a table image of being weak or have been folding alot of hands preflop...you should be able to find better times to put a move on someone.
Old 07-08-2005, 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop I'm getting 5.5:1 on my call. Occasionally I'll flop a hand I can profitably show down. Most of the rest of the time I'll try to bluff at the pot on the flop, either with a c/r or bet/3bet. If 2 high cards flop I'll just checkfold.
Basically, the pot is sufficiently large from the posters and the raiser's hand is likely to be sufficiently weak that I am deciding preflop to run a (semi)bluff. Taking into account the various possible lines that involve my checkraising or bet/3betting the flop and following through on the turn I'm getting very roughly 2 : 1 on trying to take down this pot plus some value from being able to actually make a winner and get it paid off from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop is fine. Everything else is just spewing chips... you can certainly pick better spots to run a bluff-semibluff. You are running a bluff... pure and simple and it seems like a poor place to try. If you had 2 back door draws maybe... but not here...
Old 07-11-2005, 01:29 AM

nothing wrong with your play, in spite of what so many people have said in this thread.

There is nothing wrong with taking a shot at a bluff when heads-up, especially when the pot is already that big.

And that is a very scary flop, meaning it might be just as scary to your opponent. If he doesn't have an A or a 9, then that board sucks for him and any other hand. Just because he's a TAG doesn't mean he only plays hands that hit the flop, or only hands with an ace. For instance, if he's holding 66-88,TT-KK he hates the flop, or KJs, KQ, QJs.

A non-pair hand misses the flop about 75% of the time, so just because he raised preflop doesn't mean he's going to be in a position to call your raises postflop, even when you miss the flop as well.

If he had folded to your flop 3bet, you'd have looked like a hero.

And last I checked, the "T" in TAG stands for tight. this means you're actually trying the play against someone with a working fold-button, not against some loose-donk who keeps calling with any sort of prayer of a hand.

-Scott
Old 07-07-2005, 10:10 PM

Preflop OK, postflop bad.
Old 07-09-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop terrible , postflop bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

fixed your post.

the fact that people on this forum think playing 52o OOP vs. a TAG is reasonable boggles my mind.
Add the fact that with 2 late posters, the TAG is NOT on any kind of stealing play.

The twodimes figures, as another poster pointed out, are meaningless b/c they assume a showdown for both players with no more money going in.

I'm open-minded and willing to be convinced that I'm wrong, but god, that's going to take a lot of work in this case.
Playing 52o is terrible in nearly any situation. With an UTG raise and 8 cold-callers I'd still have trouble putting in more money with that trash.
You don't need to make something out of EVERY hand. I can't imagine a worse scenario than this one for putting more of your money in the middle: OOP, trash cards, TAG raiser not on steal.
Fold. An extra $30 of dead money doesn't change things.