Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Liberal Blind Defense (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=288207)

ike 07-07-2005 03:11 PM

Liberal Blind Defense

Party 30/60
Two late posters, TAG in MP open raises, folded to me in BB, I call with 52o.
Flop:
A99 with a 2 flush I have no piece of.
I bet, TAG raises, I 3bet, TAG caps, I fold.

Does anyone not call here preflop getting 5.5:1?
Was my attempt to take it away on the flop unreasonable?

highlife 07-07-2005 03:17 PM

Re: Liberal Blind Defense

[ QUOTE ]
Was my attempt to take it away on the flop unreasonable?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but only because you couldn't "accidentally" show your hand when you folded.

ike 07-07-2005 04:08 PM

I'm not trying to advertise. I think this is a +EV line.

highlife 07-07-2005 04:31 PM

your position sucks, and so does your hand. i don't get it.

ike 07-07-2005 05:08 PM

Preflop I'm getting 5.5:1 on my call. Occasionally I'll flop a hand I can profitably show down. Most of the rest of the time I'll try to bluff at the pot on the flop, either with a c/r or bet/3bet. If 2 high cards flop I'll just checkfold.
Basically, the pot is sufficiently large from the posters and the raiser's hand is likely to be sufficiently weak that I am deciding preflop to run a (semi)bluff. Taking into account the various possible lines that involve my checkraising or bet/3betting the flop and following through on the turn I'm getting very roughly 2 : 1 on trying to take down this pot plus some value from being able to actually make a winner and get it paid off from time to time.

AceHigh 07-07-2005 10:10 PM

Preflop OK, postflop bad.

highlife 07-07-2005 11:17 PM

sounds like you have already made up your mind, so what are you asking?

unless the TAG plays bad postflop, you have a table image of being weak or have been folding alot of hands preflop...you should be able to find better times to put a move on someone.

golferbrent 07-08-2005 03:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Preflop I'm getting 5.5:1 on my call. Occasionally I'll flop a hand I can profitably show down. Most of the rest of the time I'll try to bluff at the pot on the flop, either with a c/r or bet/3bet. If 2 high cards flop I'll just checkfold.
Basically, the pot is sufficiently large from the posters and the raiser's hand is likely to be sufficiently weak that I am deciding preflop to run a (semi)bluff. Taking into account the various possible lines that involve my checkraising or bet/3betting the flop and following through on the turn I'm getting very roughly 2 : 1 on trying to take down this pot plus some value from being able to actually make a winner and get it paid off from time to time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preflop is fine. Everything else is just spewing chips... you can certainly pick better spots to run a bluff-semibluff. You are running a bluff... pure and simple and it seems like a poor place to try. If you had 2 back door draws maybe... but not here...

gillabong 07-08-2005 07:28 AM

If you think the TAG is a smart player, then I don't think he/she folds enough to make this move. I've been in hands like this before where I try to 4x blind steal, and I know that you know that I'm trying to steal and I know that you will try to re-steal, etc. Just seems way too obvious of a move against a decent player.

If you are going to make a move on the flop regardless of the flop, would a preflop 3 bet be more effective?

The Truth 07-08-2005 08:35 PM

I like check call the flop, then lead the turn. or check call flop check raise turn better in this situation than the flop donk bet.

I would like to have real good stats on this player before I make this play.