Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 10:13 AM

Default Re: Couple of basic questions....

Better yet, I threw my post (edited a bit) up on the wiki: http://poker.wikicities.com/wiki/LHE:Flop:Two_overcards

So now you and everyone else can go make it better. Seriously.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:30 AM

I wonder if the poster stuck around after reading the first few replies. Doesn't seem like it due to no responce on his part. I'm guessing again that he didn't understand what the hell you were talking about and hasn't come back. I've read a few of your post and it's obvious your a very knowledgeable player. I wasn't critizing anyone, I just think you were speaking over his head. He asked for Basic information.
Experience is the KEY to this game due to the variables and all the situational circumstances.
GL
Old 06-22-2005, 11:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I just think you were speaking over his head. He asked for Basic information.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's an entirely fair criticism, and I'm open to suggestions of how to communicate more succinctly. I don't think a concept like, "Overcards are likely to be more profitable in large pots than in small pots" necessarily has to be over a beginner's head, but I probably threw in too much jargon so in my case it probably was.

Anyway, the invitation to edit what I wrote still stands. I'm eager to learn from how others would express these concepts.

"There is no such thing as good writing. There is only good rewriting" - Harry Shaw
Old 06-22-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I wonder if the poster stuck around after reading the first few replies. Doesn't seem like it due to no responce on his part.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is no way a straight, proper answer will drive someone away, Ben. If a player has the motivation to ask the question, they certainly will have the motiviation to ask followup questions if they don't understand. Why has
the OP not returned? Who knows. Maybe he's been busy.

Your "basic" answer was so basic as to be unhelpful completely. "Get more experience so you know what you're doing" is not an answer to questions with basic, actual answers.

The only thing I see in my post that I regret is not explaining fold equity itself. However, since he has read SSHE, I'm assuming he has seen the term before and that big, bad old undefined term didn't drive him away.

I refuse to dumb down information here. That has never been the 2+2 way, and it's the right way.

Regards,

T
Old 06-22-2005, 02:55 PM

Close....it's get more experience so he can understand how and when to apply the advise given. I not sure what's wrong with giving a different point of view than yours. There are many ways to be a winner in this game and going by the book or your book is not the only way. Meanwhile experience is a key success in any field, especially poker. Unless you have photographic memory i guess. Different prospectives should be the 2+2 way and it probably is.
GL
Old 06-22-2005, 03:33 PM

I guess I should add when I first started playing Holdem it wasn't that big. A few books were out but i never read any. The internet wasn't around to view information. A lot has changed since then and now that the game is huge you can find all kinds of info out there. I guess I'm old fashion and I'll take experience over any book or thread. It's worked well for me, I'm way ahead of most when it comes to experience and the extra money earned has done wonders for me and my family. I'm not trying to offend any one here, just puttin in my two cents.
gl
Old 06-22-2005, 03:46 PM

Again, no one doubts the value of experience. In most pursuits, you ignore its value at your own peril.

But my point is, in poker more than in some things, you need a good theoretical understanding to correctly process your experience. Otherwise, you end up playing J5o every time because once you flopped a full house and won a huge pot with it.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:39 PM

I agree your right, but how do you explain to a newbie in basic terms on how to play a hand when they're so many variables involved? Each situation can drastically determine how a hand is played. I've seen a lot of good advice given here on a particular situation, but that same advice could end up being the wrong approach if the situation changes just slightly. How can you expect the newbie to understand that without the experience? So when OP said he was losing money by calling with overcards I advised him not to chase with overcards until he learns what he's chasing. I figured it would be good advice until he figures it out. Am I wrong?
Thanks
Old 07-01-2005, 11:36 AM

you guys didnt drive me away and i appreciate the help. i just read about the first five responses and i figured the thread was dead and i looked today and laughed that it went on for a while. anyways, i thought all of your responses helped tremendously. i'm just a beginner and i've actually been winning at 4BB/100 for 6K hands so far at both .5/1 and 1/2 and am scared that i'm getting lucky because my stats seem kinda weird compared to others (i know, i know, small sample size)...
Old 07-01-2005, 11:46 AM

4BB/100 is a bit high, I think. Just don't freak out if you settle into something lower or even drop into negative for a little while. It happens to everyone.

Regards,

T