Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 05:23 PM

Default Re: 2-5 NL Tough Boston Game

You called his reraise flat pre-flop and he is OOP. Is there any chance this guy slows down to a flat-call on the turn? Has he been meeting much resistance to his continuation bets on the flop up to now?

Considering this uncoordinated/rainbow flop, does anyone like a flop min-CR and turn push when anything but an A, K, or Q hits? Is he the type of player to call you down even if he was 75%-80% sure you had a set of tens?

If your read isn't great and you aren't ready to commit your stack then fold the flop.

IMO, calling pre-flop is standard against this type of player.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:30 PM

i'm in position, which would normally be a good thing but against this type of player i'm left in a reactionary position
Old 06-29-2005, 05:52 PM

I do not envy your position here. It sounds like he is a better player than you and you know it. It also sounds like he knows you know it. Under these circumstances I make too many costly mistakes (or just 1 or 2 which still hurt because it's no limit). I don't want to play short handed in this guys game.

This guy also sounds like the kind of player who might make this play with pocket pairs, say 5's and up as it is short handed and he is pretty confident he can outplay you (given your description of his toughness).

I think if I was in your position I would be thinking about getting up from this game, or at least avoiding this player as much as possible. . I wish I could give confident and competent advice with respect to this hand but I can not.

Was he pounding you when you were in the blind? What % of hands was he playing/raising?
Old 06-29-2005, 06:20 PM

I think his range is much larger than TT-AA, AK. 55-AA, KQs, AQs, AJs, ATs all seem likely for a shorthanded game. You're well ahead of that range and he's a player who almost always makes continuation bets on the flop. He mostly likely has 2-6 outs on you at this point. I smooth call the flop. If the turn is a non A,K,Q and he bets again I shove all in if a read him for a bluff. If I read him for a higher pair or set I muck to the turn bet. If he checks the turn, regardless of the card, I'm probably pushing.

Tough spot but buck up and force the other guy to make some decisions.

How often does he reraise preflop?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:52 PM

He was'nt going out of his way to play pots with me, we're actually good friends and play at the same level, but he is way more aggressive than I and his playing style is definately tough to match. I know playing shorthanded with such a player is not good but there was a mega super fish in the game with 1500$ he would definately not be cashing out so staying in the game was +EV.

I usually stay out of the way against players like this with less than JJ or AK, just happens on was sitting there with the 1 hand i could hit that flop with and question whether or not i was winning.
Old 06-29-2005, 08:18 PM

Fatal Error-

Are you the really annoying young buck who is overly cocky and thinks he is better than everyone?

PD
Old 06-29-2005, 08:48 PM

No i only think i'm better than 98% of people... i'd really love to know who the hell you are
Old 06-29-2005, 09:38 PM

is this a south shore game or riverstreet game?
Old 06-29-2005, 10:03 PM

riverstreet
Old 06-29-2005, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Really my options here are push or fold, i can't really call because he's aggressive enough to push on the turn for my last 450 with AK and blow me away.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't see why it's push or fold.

Well, you have to make a decision on the flop whether he has you beat or not. If you decide to continue (because you feel the probability he has AK is good enough)... then call. Let him double you up when he pushes the turn with AK. Sure, you take a risk that he hits his 6 outs on the turn. But, you also get doubled through when the turn and river bricks off. If you decide to play the pot, give him the chance to double you through. Don't blow him off the worst hand.