Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2005, 04:25 PM

Default 2-5 NL Tough Boston Game

5 Handed 2-5 NL, 3 Solid Players 2 Megafish donating

I Get red Jacks UTG and raise to 20, folded to BB who makes it 75, BB is a tough aggressive player who is tough to read postflop, he generally makes pot sized continuation bets whether he hits hard or whifs completely. My read here is TT-AA AK and maybe but probably not AQs. I have 650 left after my raise, he has me covered

I just call preflop and take a look at a flop, i'm not thrilled with the idea of putting more money out there yet... first mistake?

Flop it T73 rainbow and he bets 150, now i have a problem in that i have an overpair but i'm no longer beating ANY of the pairs he raised with preflop, i'm beating AK now and will have to put the rest of my chips in to find out if thats what he has. Really my options here are push or fold, i can't really call because he's aggressive enough to push on the turn for my last 450 with AK and blow me away.

What is the correct play here assuming no other information, this players is preety much a closed book and his playing style has been really affective in the way he uses the amount of his raises to put opponents in push/fold situations
Old 06-29-2005, 04:27 PM

Default Re: 2-5 NL Tough Boston Game

What does he think of you?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:34 PM

Fold preflop. You're hardly (if at all) getting set odds here. And that's assuming he'd actually pay you off with his whole stack if you hit. And assuming he didn't hit his.

If you've got a mid to high pocket pair, and you're playing it scared, it's no better than 55, in my opinion. It becomes a question of hitting your set or not hitting your set.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:34 PM

He considers me to be a relatively good player, i've been running preety bad in this game lately but playing well that night... It's really questionable whether or not he thinks i'm running bad enough to make moves on me out of nowhere
Old 06-29-2005, 04:37 PM

He is getting implied odds to hit a set. With the range of hands he put villain on calling preflop is correct. Fold the flop. Without a T out there I may have called, but you're not beating much. If he's been running over the game with these continuation bets then you have an easy fold. But, if you're read is TT-AA and AK, then then what are you debating?
Old 06-29-2005, 04:43 PM

I think you need to fold preflop, considering you have little to no read on your opponent...That being said, I think your best option if you play out the hand is to call the flop and represent a set, unless you would always push the flop that hard with a set, which I doubt...I know, if he has A/K your giving him a chance to catch up, but so be it...You have position on him and can see how he bets the turn...Overall, best stratgey is to fold preflop, and fold the flop
Old 06-29-2005, 04:44 PM

Villain's hand range doesn't really do too well against a raise all-in. Especially if you can weight TT lightly and include AQs.

Edit: Messed up position.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:54 PM

Hero has position. Or else I'm just confused as to what you're saying.
Old 06-29-2005, 04:59 PM

Nothing wrong with calling the reraise if you play well postflop since you have position. What's confusing is you say that the Villain will bet aggressively with nothing and yet your hand range for him includes every hand that beats you and one (possibly two) that you're ahead of on this flop. By tough aggressive player, does that mean that he read your UTG raise as a high pair? Additionally, does tough aggressive and hard to read include making plays? Obviously it would be hard to imagine him making a play with a speculative hand without being in position, but still, it's a consideration.

My recommendation is pretty much in line with everyone elses, find a better spot... However, if the Villain perceives of you as able to laydown over pairs on a fairly ragged board, then you need to start mixing up your play a little more I think.
Old 06-29-2005, 05:21 PM

Villain will follow up all his preflop raises with a pot sized continuation bet, but his preflop reraises are much tougher to guage, he checks a flop here and there... my main issue is even though he has 3 hands that are beating me and 1 i'm beating, there are more combinations for AK than pairs, therefore he's got AK about 35-40% there imo meaning this becomes more of a marginal situation than easy fold