Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 09:56 PM

Default Re: This hand made me sick

There's nothing you can do for him. If you don't take his money someone else will. However, you can use the money he "donates" to take some time off work and do some good in your community. Be a big sister, volunteer at a local school, pay for an underprivilaged kids to join a sports team. You may save some kid from taking the loser path.
Old 06-27-2005, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we have this same thread every stinking week.

[/ QUOTE ]

And we get the same stupid trollers on these threads every stinking week.

Go play with your dolls kid.

Lawrence
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 PM

It's true I have read similiar posts here but I still think it's important enough to bear repeating. Besides, I don't think anyone has a satisfactory definitive answer to this problem.

I think responses like, "It's not your problem. He's a stupid drunk - take his money.", are disturbing to say the least.

A couple people suggested donating the money you won to GA or doing other volunteer work. This may not totally resolve your feelings but I think they are positive suggestions.

On the news today was alot about the BTK serial killer. In discussing this one channel interviewed some prof. of psychology who said that 4% of the male population can be categorized as psychopathic. They have some group of symptoms including - lack of feeling for others, inability to empathize or sympathize, no feelings of conscience etc. Some of the answers to this and other similiar posts make me wonder how many of those 4% are posting on this forum.
Old 06-28-2005, 12:53 AM

oh please...there is a difference between having a complete lack of feeling towards other humans, and doing your best to take someones money in a competition where the point is to take someone elses money...
Old 06-28-2005, 09:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
oh please...there is a difference between having a complete lack of feeling towards other humans, and doing your best to take someones money in a competition where the point is to take someone elses money...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. But I still wonder if there is some overlap in the two groups???
Old 06-28-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would much rather play against great players who could afford to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

This will probably fall on deaf ears, but why do you assume he can't afford it? Many people play poker and view their buyin as the price of entertainment.
Old 06-28-2005, 10:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i would much rather play against great players who could afford to lose.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, good luck with that. Be sure to come back and tell us how much you lose to them.

Me, I prefer to play against players who offer me the greatest net advantage per hand played. The need to overcome the rake mandates this approach. Playing only against equally-skilled players means we simply divide the rake between us, and we all lose. Playing only against better players means I pay for both my share of the rake and a good part of their shares. Both are losing approaches to the game.

q/q

Old 06-29-2005, 06:07 AM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
It's true I have read similiar posts here but I still think it's important enough to bear repeating. Besides, I don't think anyone has a satisfactory definitive answer to this problem.

I think responses like, "It's not your problem. He's a stupid drunk - take his money.", are disturbing to say the least.

A couple people suggested donating the money you won to GA or doing other volunteer work. This may not totally resolve your feelings but I think they are positive suggestions.

On the news today was alot about the BTK serial killer. In discussing this one channel interviewed some prof. of psychology who said that 4% of the male population can be categorized as psychopathic. They have some group of symptoms including - lack of feeling for others, inability to empathize or sympathize, no feelings of conscience etc. Some of the answers to this and other similiar posts make me wonder how many of those 4% are posting on this forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing like gross overexaggeration.

If you cannot handle taking money from 'lesser' people, however you categorize them, gambling addicts, donks whatever, you shouldn't be playing poker to make money.

It's the nature of the game. It's a brutal game. This is one of the many reasons why.

The OP isn't even sure of their assessment of the person. Just the way they play. Wait 'til they really sit down a few times with some hardcore addicts. I see/play with a few on a daily basis. My job is to make money no matter what their problems are. Sound cold? Welcome to poker.

Maybe poker isn't the right game for the OP.

b