Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 04:16 AM

Default This hand made me sick

Not sure were this post is going but anyway we will see.

Playing 6/12 live i am dealt JJ i raise get a few callers, flop comes J64 i bet and get two callers, next card the 6 repeats, EP leads into me i raise, third player calls and the EP folds, river J i hit quads, i bet and get called,

Guess by what, Just guess. He shows 97, this old guy was a drunken idiot.

The problem is i feel really bad about taking this mans money, and i know your all going to say, its his own fault, which i agree, but i just cant help feeling that he is a degenerate gamblor, who obviously has a problem which many people say is a disease. And i have just done nothing to help him. I cant help but think there is some relative at home who needs a new lung or something, but they cant afford it because he has a problem.

Does anyone else feel this? i really enjoy playing poker but i really dont like this aspect at all, i would much rather play against great players who could afford to lose.

I see this as a bit of a problem with extending my poker play.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:28 AM

Default Re: This hand made me sick

chances are you have done this on more than one occassion (without your knowledge), it's not your problem. gambling is a problem for many and if you cannot handle taking other ppl's money, find a new hobby! :P seriously though, not a lot you can do there.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:29 AM

"i would much rather play against great players who could afford to lose."

do you think they would feel sorry for you when they were taking your money?

this is just a factor that goes along with gambling, you can either accept the fact that you will win the money of people that aren't as good as you or people with gambling proeblems or you can't accept it, in which case its not the game for you...
Old 06-27-2005, 05:43 AM

we have this same thread every stinking week.
Old 06-27-2005, 06:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The problem is i feel really bad about taking this mans money, and i know your all going to say, its his own fault, which i agree, but i just cant help feeling that he is a degenerate gamblor, who obviously has a problem which many people say is a disease. And i have just done nothing to help him. I cant help but think there is some relative at home who needs a new lung or something, but they cant afford it because he has a problem.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are my hero Bambi, its so nice to see someone who cares.

That being said, everyone who has replied so far is correct.

Hard fact is, you are not responsible for him being there. Yes it's sad if he has a problem but you also have a problem in this capitalistic society ... you get money or you die, and no one cares about you.

You have chosen to play poker for money, good for you, earn a living. You don't have to feel bad about taking their money, but as a word of caution, try not to feel too good about it either ... some players are assholes who really make me sick with their lack of feeling whatsoever ... true parasites ... eww.

Cheers,
SDM
Old 06-27-2005, 08:04 AM

You didn't apologize for having a hand? What's wrong with you?? Psychopath!

I agree with the previous post referring to this thread as a repeat. It's like an echo in a big cave. Even though you've heard it before, the temptation to shout again is too great to ignore. If it made you feel better to post it, good. If you think you're going to avoid winning hands against people who should not be in the game, quit now. Maybe the guy just paid an installment on a six figure tax bill and was getting drunk to numb the pain. Maybe you took so much from him he could not afford the rope to hang himself. Find a positive spin and stick to it. Save the pitty for lost dogs and homeless kids. They actually deserve it.
Old 06-27-2005, 08:16 AM

Poker might not be the game for you if you dont enjoy taking money from those less skilled than you (or in this case extremly less skilled!)
Old 06-27-2005, 04:06 PM

He is a big boy. Take his money. If not, I will.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:19 PM

That's the problem with all zero-sum games. For every winner, there must be a loser, and in most cases, a lot more losers. If you're winning enough to live on, then you're taking enough money from someone else who could have lived on it. If you install a new pool with your winnings, that's another guy who now doesn't have a pool.

I had a similar thought when I finally started winning. I thought "hey, if I'm winning...who's the guy on the other end?" Then I realized that this is part of the price you pay for playing poker.
Old 06-27-2005, 04:31 PM

Give the money you won from him to Gamblers Anonymous or a similar organisation. I think that's the best way you can help him and those like him.