Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-25-2005, 07:05 PM

Default Re: Worst 3rd card in Pineapple

You are correct.

I think I'll stick to commenting on games I actually know how to play!
Old 06-25-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Are you suggesting that if your hand was A28 of spades that you would discard the 2?

[/ QUOTE ]

In CP, you get to take the flop before discarding. The arguement for wanting the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] is that if you get a flop that is something like 236 rainbow, you've still got a playable low by discarding the 2, although not a very good one.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:28 PM

The problem with that argument is, even in the 'great' flop of a 2 3 6 2-spades, you'd have bottom pair, nut flush draw, with one of your spade outs already gone, and also with a low that is sure to be beaten.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:36 PM

Thanks for clarifying that the discard happens after the flop.

I'm still not sure what kind of flop would be better for you with the 8 instead of the 9, except the obvious like 888.

If I have to draw, I want to draw to the nuts. Nut low, nut high, doesn't matter to me, but it needs to be to the nuts. (unless there are other factors like a SH game or something)

If the argument keeps going, I guess you would just have to figure out how many favorable flops you could get with one hand over the other and let that decide it.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
with a low that is sure to be beaten.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nothing is ever sure in CP/8. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 06-25-2005, 09:01 PM

Given that suitedness is not an issue (you already have a suited 2) and that any given hand is just as likely with an 8 as a 9, the 9 definitely has the edge in high

With A2, assuming im playing for low, I can't think of a situation where I would discard the two and not the 8.

Consider a flop like 257 with the A28 hand... Yeah, I could keep a made low of marginal strength (A2578), but with 15 outs to the nut low, I am most likely going to discard my 8 anyway.

With a hand like 25K, yeah, A2 needs runner-runner to make a low, but id rather play bottom-pair over card kicker with a runner runner draw to the nut low than a 15 outer to a crappy low that probably wont hold up (one way or the other, id toss a hand like this given any serious action after the flop)

The only low hand where i might chuck the 2 and play the 8 would be something goofy like a board of 679 rainbow, where A8 gives me a good draw at a powerful high with some scoop possibilities, and the A2 doesn't represent a made nut low.

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for clarifying that the discard happens after the flop.

I'm still not sure what kind of flop would be better for you with the 8 instead of the 9, except the obvious like 888.

If I have to draw, I want to draw to the nuts. Nut low, nut high, doesn't matter to me, but it needs to be to the nuts. (unless there are other factors like a SH game or something)

If the argument keeps going, I guess you would just have to figure out how many favorable flops you could get with one hand over the other and let that decide it.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-25-2005, 09:34 PM

Hey,

I'd take A.

The benefit of an additional possible low draw outweighs the loss of one flush card.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I have to draw, I want to draw to the nuts. Nut low, nut high, doesn't matter to me, but it needs to be to the nuts

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree, and I would want the nine. I was just pointing out that the advocates of the 8 are saying it gives you another possible low. That way it the flop counterfeited your 2, you've still got a shot, albeit a weak one.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:02 PM

I haven't read the other responses, but my intial instinct was to keep the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] because 'why would I need another spade?' and it's a higher kicker. But I figured if that was my initial instinct then it must be wrong (thank you George Castanza) and then I realized if the flop comes high so that no low is possible it's better to have the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] so you can discard the 2 and still have a flush draw with a better kicker.

This ends up being more valuable than keeping the nine for kicker reasons in the long run.

How's that Clark?

Do I get a cookie?
Old 06-25-2005, 10:08 PM

I read the other responses. I never even considered keeping the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for low reasons in case your 2 is counterfeited. But that's probably because A8 low is next to worthless.