Two Plus Two Older Archives

Two Plus Two Older Archives (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/index.php)
-   Poker Theory (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Worst 3rd card in Pineapple (http://archives2.twoplustwo.com/showthread.php?t=280265)

Clarkmeister 06-25-2005 02:15 PM

Worst 3rd card in Pineapple

Crazy Pineapple 8/b. You get dealt 3 cards, discard one after the flop. Play the rest of the hand as holdem hi/lo 8 or better.

If your first two cards are

A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]

Which card would you rather be dealt in your hand as your 3rd card?

A. 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
B. 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Just choose between the two.

Sooga 06-25-2005 03:19 PM

Re: Worst 3rd card in Pineapple

b.... why would you ever want A? One of your lows would be out, one of your spades would be out.

Clarkmeister 06-25-2005 03:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
b.... why would you ever want A? One of your lows would be out, one of your spades would be out.

[/ QUOTE ]

There was a very heated debate about this at our CP/8 table last night.

autobet 06-25-2005 03:34 PM

Your dream flop would include a nine of spades with another spade. Still possible with 8 of spades (8, 10s, 3s) but less likely.

Also the nine is a better kicker...

Of course, the 8 plays better in a flush draw, but I don't think killing one of your spades and the lower card compensate.

Clarkmeister 06-25-2005 03:36 PM

But if a deuce flops, you still have an 8 low if you choose. How much is that worth, compared to losing one of your "scoop cards".

James Boston 06-25-2005 04:46 PM

I'm going with the 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. I don't want a spade and a low card out of play. They only benfit I see to the 8 is having an extra low card if the deuce gets counterfeited, but it's not exactly a great low card.

MtDon 06-25-2005 05:25 PM

Neither choice is good, but I'd choose the 9d.

autobet 06-25-2005 05:45 PM

I would like to change my answer. Given this is high low, when you flop a flush draw, you may also have a low draw or backdoor low draw to go with it. The quality of the low draw is not quite as important in holdem since you opps will so often get counterfitted. I'm not saying you would play the A8 as a low draw on it's own, but it would be a strong backup if you flop a spade draw.

Dov 06-25-2005 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Which card would you rather be dealt in your hand as your 3rd card?

A. 8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
B. 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

B. This seems so obvious to me.

Why is getting counterfeit such a big concern here?

I would rather be drawing at nut-nut hands.

You have a better chance of flushing with the spade still out there, and a better chance of the low with the 8 still out there.

Are you suggesting that if your hand was A28 of spades that you would discard the 2?

That doesn't seem like a very good idea to me.

Sooga 06-25-2005 07:03 PM

Well I'd certainly love to hear the argument for A, since I can't see it. It might be because I'm a poker n00b, and if that is in fact the case, all the more reason for wanting to hear the arguments for A.