Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-20-2005, 07:27 PM

Default Re: Can Vehn and Soda be topped?

[ QUOTE ]
I win:

upward variance is cool

in fairness, I'll post again in this thread when it dips below 2 just to show how worthless 20k is

[/ QUOTE ]

Hey, man, start your own thread! Stop raining on my parade!

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Nice work, though, seriously. Looks like I'm going to have to earn a decent amount of BB's in the next 1500 hands [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Adam
Old 06-22-2005, 12:51 PM

Default Results

Well, it's been a hellofa week... up 2 grand, down 2 grand, up 2 grand, down 2 grand.....

I was maintaining better than 3.5 BB/100 up until about 18,500 hands, but this last little downswing did me in.

<font color="blue">I ended up with a 2.73 BB/100 winrate after 20,394 hands.</font>

A certain portion of this week's downslides are probably tilt-induced. It's an amazing feeling when you're on a huge upswing, but even breaking even lately is pissing me off - not to mention the often occurance of +100 BB downswings. Tonnes of losing to rivered two-pair with the likes of K,3o... or a my flopped two-pair going down to a four-flush board by the river... yadda.

<font color="red">Along those lines, does anyone recommend some good reading regarding maintaining psychological/emotional composure while playing??</font> Seriously, I need it.

Anyway, I'll close with a pokergraph of this 20K run, and acknowledge the fact that I'm still pleased with my winnings thus far, even though I couldn't top Vehn or Soda. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Oh ya, and sthief is king. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Adam
Old 06-22-2005, 01:25 PM

Default Re: Results

[ QUOTE ]
Along those lines, does anyone recommend some good reading regarding maintaining psychological/emotional composure while playing?? Seriously, I need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney? It has a great psychology section on tilt, losing, and the professional attitude.
Old 06-22-2005, 04:05 PM

Congrats on your awesome start - hopefully your stay at 10/20 will be long and fruitful (unless you decide to move up!)

[ QUOTE ]
Along those lines, does anyone recommend some good reading regarding maintaining psychological/emotional composure while playing?? Seriously, I need it

[/ QUOTE ]

Now I'm not trying to be an ass, but if 20k hands of near 3bb/100 poker gives you the hibbly-jibblees, maybe you should seriously think about why and how you make money in poker.

&lt;rant&gt;
Force yourself to understand that this is a LONG TERM game - 20k hands is nothing, your goal should be to make correct decisions every session, not make 2k in a day, or have a higher short-term winrate than someone else, because they have no bearing on our profit-earning potential.

(understand it viscerally - I recognize that you are a solid player who intellectually knows that having aces or TPTK cracked by a rivered 2 pair was a moneymaking opportunity, but you have to recognize emotionally that the results of that one hand, one session, one week, etc. DONT MATTER)
&lt;/rant&gt;

I highly recommend "tiltblocker" (an applet to cover your stack so you don't check how much $ you have during a session) - or, you can put table averages in playerview over your stack sizes - not knowing how much $ you have at any given point helps me to keep my mind on making correct decsions and is a huge tilt preventative. Maybe spend a few days not looking at results at the end of the day either - they don't matter.

Surf
Old 06-22-2005, 06:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Along those lines, does anyone recommend some good reading regarding maintaining psychological/emotional composure while playing?? Seriously, I need it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you read Inside the Poker Mind by John Feeney? It has a great psychology section on tilt, losing, and the professional attitude.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it's the best I've read.

Krishan
Old 06-22-2005, 06:56 PM

ITPM
Zen and the art
Tao of poker
killer poker series
Old 06-24-2005, 02:19 PM

Hi guys,

A friend sent me this link, so I thought I'd just take a moment to say hi.

I like Feeney's book for psychological issues and poker. But mostly, I just try to be self aware. I still play tilt poker sometimes. It's a part of my game that I'm not sure I'll ever be fully rid of. But, these days it's much less a factor than it used to be and I'll continue to work on it, improving it day by day.

I've recently switched from SH limit play to the NL games. With the introduction of the higher NL tables, it seems to me that more money can be made in these games now. I really wish Party would spread 20/40 SH games, but until that happens... I'll be working on my NL game.

I wish all you guys (and gals) the best of luck. I don't check the forums very often any more, so if I don't respond to something, I probably just didn't see it.

[img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

soda