Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 07:02 PM

Default Re: Playing Overcards

I think the answer depends heavily on the nature of your opponent.

-Calling stations will often drop on the river if they don't hit their draw. Your hand doesn't often concern them, and they probably didn't notice that it was you who raised preflop. Even if they did, they are not trying to put you on a range of hands. Bet/fold here.

-Loose-passives who have not raised this entire time are likely to call one more bet on the river, and may have a pair, two pair, or even better as often as they may have nothing at all in this spot. The more someone leans this way, the more I lean towards check/fold or (bet/fold with AK).

-loose aggressives who haven't bet into you yet were also likely to have been on a draw. Unlike the passives though, they'll take a stab on the river with a garbage hand and won't fold anytyhing but the most hideous trash. This leans towards check/call for me.

-tight aggressives who have been calling you down have almost always paired something and are suspecting overcards. If you were betting out of position against them, then odds are that they would have bet on earlier streets if you had not. River looks like a check/fold.

Also - if you've taken this line once or twice before against the same player you're up against now, trend towards not betting the river if the player is weak. Your opponent's ego will often not let them fold to your aggression again here.
Old 06-06-2005, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If the range of hands a typical player will raise from EP is AA-99, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, 64% of the time, the raiser does not have a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Then when the flop is raggy, they know that you still probably have just overcards."

If I raise preflop and the flop is raggy, what is it about how I then bet or raise that makes my opponent "know" that I have just overcards as opposed to AA?
Old 06-06-2005, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If the range of hands a typical player will raise from EP is AA-99, AK, AQ, AJ, KQ, 64% of the time, the raiser does not have a pair.

[/ QUOTE ]
"Then when the flop is raggy, they know that you still probably have just overcards."

If I raise preflop and the flop is raggy, what is it about how I then bet or raise that makes my opponent "know" that I have just overcards as opposed to AA?

[/ QUOTE ]

They know your most probable hand is still two unpaired high cards, because a ragged flop almost certainly did not improve a hand worthy of a pre-flop raise.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:16 PM

pretty silly statement if you ask me, but, then, I didn't say it.
Old 06-07-2005, 08:28 AM

when firing blanks you dont lose your nuts on the river you have to make your last stand I hate when I see someone lose their nerve on the river just give up the pot to some lame...now if you truly sense he has it you should know that by the turn if the river comes rag then pull the trigger like you had nerve in the beginning of the hand...but it all comes down to the same question do you know your man?
Old 06-07-2005, 08:42 AM

If you're CONVINCED they have a small pair, you're betting into them while behind, and they're limiting their commitment by flat-calling.
So why not check-raise? Just do it large enough to have them worry about pocket rockets or cowboys.
Old 06-20-2005, 04:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]

pretty silly statement if you ask me, but, then, I didn't say it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think it's silly in the scenario I am describing and having trouble with.

I raised pre flop, there's nothing but rags on the flop.

I bet.

The turn is another another blank.

I bet.

The river is another blank.

I check.

A generally tight player will automatically be playing high cards more often than pairs when raising pre flop. The very fact that I back off on the river screams that I am playing overcards and that's the problem.
Old 06-20-2005, 06:56 PM

If you're losing money on your overcards, look for the solution in how you play other hands. Whenever your opponents play in a way you don't like, the trick is to do the same betting pattern with a hand where that play is good for you. Make these same bets with more small pairs and low suited connectors. Check and fold more of your overcards. Keep your opponents guessing.