Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 01:41 PM

Default Re: AKs.....big pot with no help

[ QUOTE ]
I think I would be more apt to take your line on a more threatening/ugly board for my hand; but this board is pretty benign. I don't think it is a stretch at all to think I am best quite often on the flop and there is no guarantee the flop will get bet if I checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

By leading the flop here, what do you hope to accomplish or get to fold? And how often do you think it will work verses get you in trouble by getting raised/trapped?

If you had position on most of these guys, then ya, bet for the free card and chance you are ahead. But being OOP, I think a leading bet is asking for trouble.

You may by ahead now, but A high isn't taking this pot at showdown. So to win without improving, you need to get 3 other players to fold that put in 3 bets PF.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:44 PM

I think your hand is good enough to bet here. The flop isn't T98 or QTx. The board is rags with 3 other players. One who's loose/passive and could have anything, the PFR who's raised half the hands he's played, and lastly an unknown. I think you have the best hand on this flop and probably on the turn still. I would bet this hand on the turn again and check/call the river but not overcall. Maybe even value bet some rivers.

If you get raised on the flop you can call for a probable 6 outs and fold/call the turn UI depending on the pot size.
Old 06-14-2005, 01:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
By leading the flop here, what do you hope to accomplish or get to fold?

[/ QUOTE ]
How about: Fold out some hands with outs against me that will be as scared of this innocuous flop as you are. Or, continue my show of strength after my PF 3-bet and gain some fold-equity for the later streets. Or, possibly make my bet for value as it's likely that I'm ahead on the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
And how often do you think it will work verses get you in trouble by getting raised/trapped?

[/ QUOTE ]
Against loose/passives I think this will work a lot of the time. I'm rarely getting raised on the flop here.

[ QUOTE ]
If you had position on most of these guys, then ya, bet for the free card and chance you are ahead.

[/ QUOTE ]
Position is definitly an advantage - it's not an excuse to check/call this flop. You should be betting this flop for the same reasons regardless of your position.
Old 06-14-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think I would be more apt to take your line on a more threatening/ugly board for my hand; but this board is pretty benign. I don't think it is a stretch at all to think I am best quite often on the flop and there is no guarantee the flop will get bet if I checked.

[/ QUOTE ]

By leading the flop here, what do you hope to accomplish or get to fold? And how often do you think it will work verses get you in trouble by getting raised/trapped?

If you had position on most of these guys, then ya, bet for the free card and chance you are ahead. But being OOP, I think a leading bet is asking for trouble.

You may by ahead now, but A high isn't taking this pot at showdown. So to win without improving, you need to get 3 other players to fold that put in 3 bets PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best advice
Old 06-14-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You may by ahead now, but A high isn't taking this pot at showdown.

[/ QUOTE ]

Crazier things have happened
Old 06-14-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I think this is the best advice

[/ QUOTE ]
I think it sucks.

Do you think that Hero's PF 3-bet is not good either?
Old 06-14-2005, 03:04 PM

Crunchy:

[ QUOTE ]
How about: Fold out some hands with outs against me that will be as scared of this innocuous flop as you are. Or, continue my show of strength after my PF 3-bet and gain some fold-equity for the later streets. Or, possibly make my bet for value as it's likely that I'm ahead on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. But...I have no fold equity on later streets if I don't bet the later streets. And while the calls on the flop may indicate that someone has a piece of the board (or a medium pair) they could also be peeling b/c of the big pot. UTG is calling with any 2, so his flop call means little. MP1 seems to be aggressive--I would imagine that he is popping a made hand like TT or A9 opn the flop most of the time. And well MP2--well, I have no idea. The 4s most likely have helped no one.

I just wonder if I am ahead here often enough, and will get raised rarely enough to make betting out the best play. I would love to get any folds, b/c almost any hand is correct in calling.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I just wonder if I am ahead here often enough, and will get raised rarely enough to make betting out the best play. I would love to get any folds, b/c almost any hand is correct in calling.

[/ QUOTE ]
I think you're ahead sometimes. I think you'll only get raised sometimes. I think that you'll get some folds somtimes.

I think the combination of these possibilities makes a bet correct.
Old 06-15-2005, 08:02 AM

Default results

I went ahead and bet the turn.
Loose passive calls and the two MPs folded.
River was an offsuit K-I bet and was UTG folded (which meant he had no pair) .