Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 03:34 PM

Default Re: NYC Player - quit? - low content

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I am/was a $150 an hour live NL player...

[/ QUOTE ]
Doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

$150/hour is tough to maintain at a 1-2 NL game, I wouldn't sweat the "slump".. Get back out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by tough you mean impossible, then yes, you are correct. That is unless this guy figured out how to 4 table in a live game.

[/ QUOTE ]

His post is pretty clear that he usually plays higher than 1/2. Maybe he is a $150/hr player, maybe he's not, that wasn't even close to the pt of his post. So you guys rags on somebody for no reason, offer nothing constructive, and don't evne correctly interpret what he said. Awesome.

As to your actual question, definitely take a break from poker. There's no point forcing it. Take whatever break you deem neccesarily, maybe do a little "donking it up," wait for the NYC action to come back (close) to normal, and then give it another shot, and see how you feel. That's the best anyone can tell you.
Old 06-14-2005, 03:47 PM

his original post has many inconsistancies, I just chose to pick out one.

another one perhaps - he is a $150/hr player and has a job that pays much more than that, yet he is worried about a $700 loss over two sessions? a consistant winning poker player of his apparent skill would understand that losing $700 very much within normal variance of that game. a good poker player would also not judge game quality by only two sessions.

further more, someone making over $150/hr, lets say they are making $325k a year, should normally care less about losing $700 in two nights of poker.
Old 06-14-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]

another one perhaps - he is a $150/hr player and has a job that pays much more than that, yet he is worried about a $700 loss over two sessions? a consistant winning poker player of his apparent skill would understand that losing $700 very much within normal variance of that game. a good poker player would also not judge game quality by only two sessions.

further more, someone making over $150/hr, lets say they are making $325k a year, should normally care less about losing $700 in two nights of poker.

[/ QUOTE ]

While I agree with you that the OP's post is fairly hard to believe, he didn't say he played 1/2 at NYPC for the 150/ hour. A jump down from 20/40 NL to 1/2 NL seems a little unlikely, but hey, whatever. I don't really care if people think they win more than they do, in fact, I'd kinda prefer it that way.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

He said he "made value bets that I couldn't explain to you in a million years." maybe he's simply a n00b who is letting results dictate how he thinks he played. Or maybe he's a legit player who was uncomfortable and playing badly, and made some obviously bad plays. It would be foolish to assume the latter at face. Why must you assume the former?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:33 PM

It's cool that you don't believe me.

I was referring to milking type bets in situations where I have the best hand less than 1/2 the time but would like to see a show down. Not exactly brilliant.

topout
Old 06-14-2005, 07:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A jump down from 20/40 NL to 1/2 NL seems a little unlikely, but hey, whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nah, my highest win rate in the city is 5-5 and AC I'd have to say 5-10 because I don't have the hours at the 10-25 to say for certain yet.
You guys are silly if you think all you can beat a 5-5 or 5-10 game is $150 an hour. I'm not the best regular at the Borg 5-10 and not even close for 10-25.

topout
Old 06-14-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

i am jesus...by the way, nothing like 75 bb/hour. its about on par with claiming you make 50 bucks an hour playing party 50nl. total bs.

rj
Old 06-14-2005, 07:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

$150/hour is tough to maintain at a 1-2 NL game, I wouldn't sweat the "slump".. Get back out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by tough you mean impossible, then yes, you are correct. That is unless this guy figured out how to 4 table in a live game.

[/ QUOTE ]

His post is pretty clear that he usually plays higher than 1/2. Maybe he is a $150/hr player, maybe he's not, that wasn't even close to the pt of his post. So you guys rags on somebody for no reason, offer nothing constructive, and don't evne correctly interpret what he said. Awesome.

As to your actual question, definitely take a break from poker. There's no point forcing it. Take whatever break you deem neccesarily, maybe do a little "donking it up," wait for the NYC action to come back (close) to normal, and then give it another shot, and see how you feel. That's the best anyone can tell you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree. if someone is asking for advice about gambling and they are so obviously lying then there is probably a deeper problem that SHOULD be exposed. i guess now he claims that he makes 150/hr in a 5-5 game, so the new figure of 30bb/hour is almost reasonable if there were a b&m where you could play more than like 20-25 hands per hour. he is claiming to make over 1 bb/hand, which is ludicrious.

rj
Old 06-15-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Hey man....

Player from LI here - there are tons and tons of clubs out here with absolutely dreadful competition - PM me for details.
Old 06-15-2005, 05:20 PM

Default Re: Hey man....

[ QUOTE ]
Player from LI here - there are tons and tons of clubs out here with absolutely dreadful competition - PM me for details.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's right about this. It seems every week I hear of a new club.