Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 02:30 AM

Default NYC Player - quit? - low content

I am/was a $150 an hour live NL player playing mostly in NYC and about one weekend a month at the Borg in AC.
I was at 72nd during the raid. The experience turned me off and now the club closest to my home is closed. Since I've been concentrating on my business, which pays more than poker and provides a very comfortable life style and wondering why I've been bothering with poker. I enjoy the challenge and my success but...
Since the raid I've played 2 4 hour sessions in the city - both 1-2 - and I am down $695 over the two of them which is more than all my other losing 1-2 session for the year (not too many 1-2 sessions, but still). The players were better than typical 1-2 players and the cards were not flopping great but my play tonight was clearly the worst poker I've played since I was starting out. My reads were just as good, I just didn't know what to do with the info and I made several huge -EV value bets that I couldn't explain to you in a million years. I was also not stealing when I should have been.
I need to play and be engaged in poker regularly to be a good player, I'm realizing that. I refuse to put in a serious number of hours playing online because I have problems with my wrists and spend way too many hours working in front of a monitor for work.
AC is a 2-1/2 hour drive and other activities take precedence many weekends.
I can't find a game in NYC or NNJ bigger than 1-2.
I am going out to LA in August and will spend a week playing hopefully some decent sized games. Maybe that will reignite my interest.
As things stand, I may just drop the whole thing and settle for donking around with friends once in a while and being an ex-good player.

topout
Old 06-14-2005, 02:37 AM

Default Re: NYC Player - quit? - low content

Down $695 in 1/2 NL, isn't that like... 3 buyins? Also, value bets are generally +EV. Don't fret it!! If you are a winning player, you'll make the money back. Just keep putting the hours in. It is not difficult to find big NL games in NYC, just look harder.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I am/was a $150 an hour live NL player...

[/ QUOTE ]
Doubtful.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

$150/hour is tough to maintain at a 1-2 NL game, I wouldn't sweat the "slump".. Get back out there.
Old 06-14-2005, 09:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As things stand, I may just drop the whole thing and settle for donking around with friends once in a while and being an ex-good player.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried that a few years ago. I lasted nearly two years, but eventually got back into it.

"You can't run from who you are."
Old 06-14-2005, 09:13 AM

maybe you just need to take a vacation from poker for a few weeks, then reread one of your favorite books and then get back to the tables.
Old 06-14-2005, 10:27 AM

So, is the NYPC closed for good??
Old 06-14-2005, 10:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Doubtful.

[/ QUOTE ]

$150/hour is tough to maintain at a 1-2 NL game, I wouldn't sweat the "slump".. Get back out there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If by tough you mean impossible, then yes, you are correct. That is unless this guy figured out how to 4 table in a live game.
Old 06-14-2005, 12:30 PM

$150/hr? The number of hours you used for this calculation has to be way too small. And I believe AP is open...
Old 06-14-2005, 01:16 PM

You guys are wonderfully brutal. The reading comprehension needs some work, though.
Thanks for the support handsome, spook and those that PMed me, it made me feel better.
Peace!

For the dude that asked, the rumor is that the ownership of PS negotiated and paid out some hefty fine and have agreed not open again in NYC anytime soon. I highly doubt NYPC will reopen atleast not in that location.

topout