Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2005, 05:42 PM

Default Re: blind \"war\" w/ angelina

[ QUOTE ]
The raise blows because she is expecting you to raise all sorts of hands when she limps in. You get no deception value and no fold equity with the play and you have 7 high.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just because she's expecting it doesn't mean it's profitable for her when it happens. She's got a wide range of hands here, and Barron has position.

And there isn't a ton of deception raising here, but it's going to be expected less than A7o or whatever...it's not like he's giving away his hand.

Lastly, initiative should mean something here. And the fact that she'll probably be less likely to fire at any flop once Barron shows an interest in the pot.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:01 PM

small pot, good player and you have seven high. I think better to see the flop and steal with your position if you feel possible
Old 06-14-2005, 06:13 PM

Agreed. I like the idea of checking PF and trying to catch some of the flop and using your position to advantage.

I also agree with the posters that are of the opinion that she is not relying on a piece of the flop by just calling from the SB against only the BB.

TSP
Old 06-14-2005, 06:57 PM

I usually avoid trying to raise someone off the best hand or calling with the intention of stealing later when the pot is 1.5 bbs.

If you check preflop, you force yourself to catch a piece of the flop to win.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:50 PM

"never said it was a standard play"

this is a cop out, a bad play is a bad play is a bad play. this is not just to you but to everyone, stop trying to defend yourself by including that "just mixing it up this hand" line into your post.
Old 06-15-2005, 01:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"never said it was a standard play"

this is a cop out, a bad play is a bad play is a bad play. this is not just to you but to everyone, stop trying to defend yourself by including that "just mixing it up this hand" line into your post.

[/ QUOTE ]

i felt fully justified at the time according to the reasons i gave to make the raise. i posted it because i wanted to know whether it was bad b/c it wasn't standard. i dont want angelina completing a sb w/ the exppectation of seeing a cheap flop so i chose to charge him/her there to prevent further sb completings.

paluka and others showed me it was bad in isolation. i posted in also because i wanted to see if its worth it.

-Barron
Old 06-15-2005, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont want angelina completing a sb w/ the exppectation of seeing a cheap flop so i chose to charge him/her there to prevent further sb completings.
-Barron

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that is pretty reasonable thinking, I'm very surprised there was such widespread distaste for your pre-flop play on this hand.

Nigel
Old 06-16-2005, 03:05 AM

Preflop I think your raise is correct. You have to raise with small cards sometimes or you are giving away two much information. And if you are not going to raise with suited connectors, what small cards are you going to raise with?

Flop is close. I think I would bet it like you did, but checking is also OK. Did you have a backdoor flush draw? If you did, I'm honestly not sure if it makes the bet better or worse (the latter because you still need to dump if check raised).

Turn your fold is definitely correct.
Old 06-16-2005, 06:36 AM

A raise preflop can be fine as long as you mix it up. In this specific scenario you should raise the turn some of the time: Angelina plays her (yes I know it is a man, but I like the notion of taking pots away from young girls) image a lot and will do the check/call bet turn into thinking agressive players with nothing some of the time. Also be super aware what image she has of you!