Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-11-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: Min-raising AA -- is this too obvious?

You are correct about never saying never. But I better damn well have a read that one of the blinds is aggressive and will push pre-flop after seeing my limp. Not many of those guys at the lower levels though....

I'll revise my statement to "very, very rarely".
Old 06-11-2005, 07:14 PM

Took me a minute to work that out. Very true.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:26 PM

You can't win big pots with AA every time you get it. Stop thinking like that. You can try and limp rerase from early position on a table that is aggresive preflop, but if you just get called you may have to lay it down post flop which can be painful, but you have to be prepared to do it.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Back to 3-4x raises...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm quoting myself here, but "back to" implies that at one point I was making the 3-4x raises. What part of my OP implied that I ALWAYS min-raise AA? I wouldn't have posted it if it were my standard game.

The reason I've min-raised the last dozen times is because I read through poker tracker where I didn't get enough action with AA because I chased everyone out including the blinds.

And limping in late games DOES have its place. I'm not saying I do it all the time but it's always an option to consider.

In any case this discussion is probably pretty marginal. I'd be happy to always have the problem of getting AA too many times and not pulling in enough chips.
Old 06-11-2005, 11:58 PM

With AA I'll do any of three different things. Limp, min-raise or my standard of 4xBB +1each. A fourth I want to do is go all-in when I've got a very loose image going and get someone to call.

Aces are good enough to do anything with pre-flop. Just don't do the same thing everytime.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:17 AM

Unless you are playing the same people over and over or you get dealt AA a lot more than I do, don't worry about changing the way you play it.

To the OP, hell no, it isn't obvious you have AA by minraising in level 2 of an $11. You should still raise more, IMO, unless pretty much every raise starts a frenzy - which is sometimes the case in an $11. And, yes, 4 people all-in is beautiful when you have AA.