Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 02:12 AM

Default Re: bisonbison vs Ed Miller

Even then you should be able to find tables with 5-6 to the flop average(with most being 5, of course), the amazing calling stations make up any difference you'd need in playing 22 preflop anyway.

I haven't been playing much in the afternoon lately, and moved up to 1/2, but the loose tables were still there, just took a bit of table selection, an odd feeling at .5/1, but hey.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:04 AM

bison's defense basically amounts to "if you can't get enough limpers to limp or if you find yourself raised preflop, you should be finding a new table and limping 22 UTG"
Old 06-10-2005, 06:03 AM

reread Ed. the reason you'd limp 22 is if the table is loose passive. giving you a cheap and profitable look at the flop.

why you wouldn't limp 22 UTG is if is shorthanded and aggressive. you don't want to be calling 3 bets back to you if only 2 other players are in or HU.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Odds of flopping a set: 7.5:1

What bisonbison meant is that the $0.5/1 game is so donkish that you have better than 7.5:1 implied+pot odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think SSHE gives advice where the opponents can at least think, not the case in .5/1. So maybe when i'm at 2/4 or 3/6, i won't be limping 22 UTG (even then, not a definite, cause in loose passive games, sorry miller, but I'm limping then too)
Old 06-10-2005, 10:06 AM

Whatever happened to bisonbison, anyway?
Old 06-10-2005, 10:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Bison is right.

So is Ed.

[/ QUOTE ]

C'mon man, you said it yourself, the why is more important than the what. I'm leaving the wheels on for a little bit until I have a solid understanding why.
Old 06-10-2005, 10:37 AM

I think he "recently" posted about getting a job at Google (Gmail) and moving away from playing poker as his way of making money.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:07 AM

It doesn't really matter what you do with it. It's a slightly +EV hand from EP position at a good loose passive table. It's slightly -EV at a more aggro and tight table. I usually limp with it but if I folded it UTG every time over the last 50K hands I'd probably be leaving a grand total of $2 on the table.

I think the bigger point is that all pocket pairs have terrific implied odds and should be played whenever possible. Calling raises out of the blinds with low PP's is usually correct. Calling from LP with a few CC'ers is too. Sets are big hands and will usually pay off handsomely.
Old 06-10-2005, 11:56 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I usually limp with it but if I folded it UTG every time over the last 50K hands I'd probably be leaving a grand total of $2 on the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

Personally, I think this may be the most important observation.

1. There are some hands that are playable by the very best players here that are unprofitable for the vast majority of players here due to differences in post flop skill. If all you made is $2, I bet I am loser with that hand at this stage.

2. Some of the marginal hands recommended here by some add VERY LITTLE to the bottom line even for the very best post flop players. What they mostly do is increase variance. I don't know about you guys, but I'm willing to give up a few dollars over the course of a year to limit the number and extent of my downturns.

3. If you are multi-tabling, many marginal hands become even more difficult to play profitably. Even worse, playing them they can distract you from another table where you are involved in a potentially highly profitable situation. So they probably cost you a lot of money. You just don't know it.

As an aside, I don't know where you guys are finding these 5-6 players to the flop tables (other than Pacific). I almost NEVER see a table like that at PP. When I do, it lasts for no more than a round or two because as players leave, it is attacked by all the rocks on the huge waiting list.
Old 06-10-2005, 01:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]

2. Some of the marginal hands recommended here by some add VERY LITTLE to the bottom line even for the very best post flop players. What they mostly do is increase variance. I don't know about you guys, but I'm willing to give up a few dollars over the course of a year to limit the number and extent of my downturns.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was thinking along the same line, but my conclusion is that it is definatly worth it to add easy to play marginal hands. EP small pocket pairs are pretty easy to play post flop. I think I end up getting better action on my monsters from tighter opponents when I play more small or zero EV hands.