Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-2005, 09:22 PM

Default Re: Running Bad - This Sort Of Thing\'s Why

[ QUOTE ]
only way your going to get J2 out of this hand is if you raise preflop...

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you want J2 out of this hand?
Old 06-10-2005, 02:41 AM

My feeling is that in an 8 handed game if you are going to play JTo you should be raising with it. You want to knock out the blinds so that the remaining callers hands can be narrowed down to a certain range. That way, when you make a hand like trip Jacks you almost never need to worry about a deuce coming on the turn and boating somebody up.

That being said, Poboy is absolutely right, why on earth on that flop would you want to drive out J2. That is a perfect situation for you. You just got drawn out on. Life goes on.

The flaw in your play, in my opinion, comes from your read on the villian. You mentioned that the villan in this hand was not very aggressive. This makes a strong argument in favor of either folding on the turn (not too high on this idea)or on the river as a weak player is most likely not going to fire two barrels at you without a very strong hand.

Please do not take my words to imply that this is an easy hand to navigate through. This is one of those hands that in the moment is very tough to consider laying down. I know because I have made this error many times. I am sure though that as a solid player learning to avoid getting trapped in this kind of situation will make you great and catapult your win-rate into the stratosphere.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:47 AM

I fold preflop but that's me.

On the flop there is a straight/flush draw out there bet much bigger. Bet MUCH larger on the turn, you lose this hand this time but usually a blank 2 on the turn is your chance to really put the chasers in the neg.

You say the guy was the passive calling station type? Then he raises you pretty big on the turn? That's probly a jack. More often JQ J9 or something, but just to point out that you should have probly considered a biggish hand on the turn, not realized on his push on the river. Just a thought for future hands nah mean?

JMO. These things happen.