Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 04:23 PM

Default Re: Should I lay down top pair?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Id bet the flop, Villian will probably raise which does much more to protect your hand than check raising (which just builds the pot).

[/ QUOTE ]

If Villain raises your flop bet, what are the chances you're ahead here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Without any reads, it's hard to say for sure, but I'd say we're behind.

I would bet out aswell. If I get raised, I go into call-down mode. If anything, I want to see what button capped with PF and how he played out the hand.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If Villain raises your flop bet, what are the chances you're ahead here?

[/ QUOTE ]
*If* villain were to 3bet your flop checkraise wouldn't you still be inclined to call to the river with this pot size??

[/ QUOTE ]

Probably just as inclined if bet and raised on the flop. Check/raising the flop gets you more value when you're ahead and bloats the pot for your draw when you're ahead. Betting to induce the 3-bettor to help protect your hand needs a read that this opponent will raise something like KK or QQ here. Often when you're raised on the flop, it's to protect Villain's, not your hand.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Without any reads, it's hard to say for sure, but I'd say we're behind.

I would bet out aswell. If I get raised, I go into call-down mode. If anything, I want to see what button capped with PF and how he played out the hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Button didn't cap pre-flop.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:27 PM

If we call the turn raise, are we check/call the river? or bet/call?
Old 06-08-2005, 04:30 PM

Oops, 3-bet. Sorry.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If we call the turn raise, are we check/call the river? or bet/call?

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly I like check/raise as an option as well. Between these two I'd probably bet/call.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:02 PM

Ya, Royal Vegas isn't on the converter list is it? The 7-8 was club suited. I wasn't worried about the crazy aggressive guy at all, I figured he had a ace rag suited or something on a flush draw. I've played with this guy before and have notes on him, and look for him at the .5/1 talbes because he gives his money away. But I can't get over getting re-raised with 7-8s preflop.

I thought check-raising the flop would be a good idea, because I knew the button would try to bet at it if he was checked to, and I figured villain would bet out if checked to being the pre-flop raiser. Is it generally a better idea to check raise the turn if a non scary card comes out for more value than check raising flops?

I figured I was beat with a raise on the turn with quad 8's possibly but probably A8s, AK or something, but hoping he had AJ, AT.
Old 06-08-2005, 05:19 PM

I would have bet the flop.

I wouldn't have capped the turn. I'd just call after he raised. There are many hands that can beat you. And at this limit you could easily be up against 89, A8 or even 8-anything.

I'd check call the river.

[ QUOTE ]
.5/1 Royal Vegas (10 handed)

I just got to the table, so I have no real reads except on the button which is crazy aggressive if any of the flop hits him unless he has any kind of draw, he will be a call station.
BWillie dealt A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Preflop:SB posts .25. BB posts .50. 2 folds. UTG+1 bets. Hero raises. Villain 3-bets. MP3 folds. CO folds. Button calls. SB folds. BB calls. UTG+1 folds. Hero calls.

(14 SB) Flop: 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (4 players)
BB checks. Hero checks. Villain bets. Button calls. BB folds. Hero raises. Villain calls. Button calls.

(10 BB)Turn: 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero bets. Villain raises. Button calls. Hero 3-bets. Villain caps. Button calls. Hero calls.

(22 BB)River: Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (3 players)
Hero checks. Villain bets. Button folds. Hero calls.

Thoughts? Should I of 3-bet the turn given he bet out at me after my check raise?

Results
<font color="white"> Villain wins pot with 7h 8h. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]