Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 02:38 AM

Default Re: A case for slowplaying

This was an article in the internet magazine thats no longer up. It was about opposite men who would bet with nothing and check with something. Something about a Seinfield reference.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This was an article in the internet magazine thats no longer up. It was about opposite men who would bet with nothing and check with something. Something about a Seinfield reference.

[/ QUOTE ]
Bizarro
Old 06-08-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

I know I missed a bet here

[/ QUOTE ]

You missed many bets there.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:16 AM

You make a decent case for slowplaying this flop. The pot is small (5.5 SB) so you may have a hard time convincing even a hand like JT to call if the players are very tight as you mentioned. Although I think it is probable JT would have called you on the flop, what you are really gaining by slowplaying is the chance for someone with K5, for example, to catch a K and pay you off. No way a tight player will call even one bet on this flop with K5, A5, etc. Essentially you want overcards to hit as they will likely pay you off.

However, with a large field everyone will be wondering who has the 9. So an overcard will not pay you off as much as you'd like if it hits; it will be obvious you were slowplaying. Given this, and the fact that anyone with a straight draw is likely to call the flop, I would bet this flop *unless* your opponents are *extremely* tight (i.e, do not call with overcards on this flop), in which case the risk of all of them folding to one bet is too great.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So you bet when you have nothing and check when you have something?

I'm thinking this strategy might be exploitable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude - that's not at it all. I bet in most situations where I am ahead or are drawing to be ahead. But in this case, I don't just have "something", I basically have an unbeatable hand. I am not worried about gewtting drawn out on.

I was at this table for a while and I cannot recall the number of times people were dropping to single bets on the flop. I think MP2's bet on the turn was a pure bluff, as it was only called by the guy with J 10 who caught up on th river. The 3 didn't really help MP2 as he immediately folded on the river when bet at.

All that said, I do believe I should have bet the flop. I was just going to cry if everyone folded after I did so.

But it's not as simple as saying I bet with nothing and check with something. Flopping a hand like this with what I held is an extremely uncommon occurrence. I was happy to get something, rather than nothing, especially given the climate at the table.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I was at this table for a while and I cannot recall the number of times people were dropping to single bets on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you should've been stealing all sorts of pots up to this point. You should've been playing very aggressively just so that when this exact situation came up you'd be getting no respect from any other player at the table - and as a result would be getting lots o' action on your big hand.

If you're not playing this way at these tables you're leaving a lot of money out there. Make sure you're either adjusting your game to the texture of the tables or selecting games that fit the textures you are comfortable playing in.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I was at this table for a while and I cannot recall the number of times people were dropping to single bets on the flop.

[/ QUOTE ]
Then you should've been stealing all sorts of pots up to this point. You should've been playing very aggressively just so that when this exact situation came up you'd be getting no respect from any other player at the table - and as a result would be getting lots o' action on your big hand.

If you're not playing this way at these tables you're leaving a lot of money out there. Make sure you're either adjusting your game to the texture of the tables or selecting games that fit the textures you are comfortable playing in.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was making the occasional steal believe me. But I had recently shown down some big hands and the table had tightened up quite a bit.

The line I took here maybe have cost me one caller on the flop, but if I bet out on the flop, I could have lost the guy who bluffed at the turn and maybe even Mr. Gutshot who made his hand on the river.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The line I took here maybe have cost me one caller on the flop, but if I bet out on the flop, I could have lost the guy who bluffed at the turn and maybe even Mr. Gutshot who made his hand on the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not trying to be overly critical or offensive but, this is results oriented and not something you'd be saying if not for that exact JT holding in MP and that river gutshot card falling.

Bet the flop. Betting the flop on the button when it's checked to you looks weak. There are a lot of people in the pot and it's more likely that you'll get action now rather than later. If the table is really as tight as you say - what would lead you to believe that someone who hits a hand is going to go nut-zoid later on anyways.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:19 AM

You have the button. That means out of everyone who could bet any street, you look more fullofshit than anyone else. So bet.

You think a gutshot and 2 overs is folding on that board? You think it should? You think AT is folding for a single flop bet?

I hate this hand. I hate it like PokerBob hates post-Summerteeth-Wilco.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:37 AM

I dont mind this slowplay. The chance is small that anybody would have a 9 or a 7. Your hand is very hard to beat. ppl miscredit a button bet but if the table is very tight waiting for ppl to catch up could be good. Giving a free card wont hurt you.