Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 01:01 AM

Default A case for slowplaying

Very tight table. People folding to any kind of betting unless they've got a real piece of the flop. I was very worried I would get no action with this hand when it hit.

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is CO with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP1 calls, MP2 calls, MP3 calls, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, Hero checks.

I know I missed a bet here, but with this hand, and this large a field, I really didn't want to lose anyone who could possibly catch up on later streets. It was very unlikely anyone had a piece of this flop.

Turn: (2.75 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, MP3 folds, Hero calls, BB folds, MP1 calls.

A horrible turn card, but at least someone bet.

River: (5.75 BB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">MP1 bets</font>, MP2 folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP1 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero caps</font>, MP1 calls.

Final Pot: 13.75 BB

Results in white below: <font color="#FFFFFF">
MP1 has Jc Th (straight, jack high).
Hero has 9h 7h (full house, nines full of sevens).
Outcome: Hero wins 13.75 BB. </font>

Anyone think we make more by taking a different line?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:03 AM

Default Re: A case for slowplaying

I can't see much reason to play it any differently.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:36 AM

Hmmm I don't like it. You're telling me no one will call if you bet the flop? You can also get into a raising war if someone holds a lone 9 or 77. What if someone had the same idea as you and help T9 in his hand?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:41 AM

if you were first to act, ok, but you're last to act and as you said it's a large field, bet this flop, even in a real tight game you'll keep around anyone on a draw, and it'll make it look like you're protecting a lone 9 more than a full house...

my line is bet the flop, see what happens, most likely check or call the turn

all in all i like it though
Old 06-08-2005, 01:45 AM

There's a difference between slowplaying and missing bets. Yes, you want players to catch up. However, tht to drive anyone out. Bet at least bet it. Nothing is bete great thing about SSH players is they call with ANY sort of draw. If your raised, you an IDIOT to 3 bet this flop or raise iter than going to war with a monster and getting people to come along!!
Old 06-08-2005, 01:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There's a difference between slowplaying and missing bets. Yes, you want players to catch up. However, tht to drive anyone out. Bet at least bet it. Nothing is bete great thing about SSH players is they call with ANY sort of draw. If your raised, you an IDIOT to 3 bet this flop or raise iter than going to war with a monster and getting people to come along!!

[/ QUOTE ]

I was going to say this. Except coherently.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:53 AM

Then please provide us with a coherent version won't you?
Old 06-08-2005, 01:55 AM

I think a lot of the time your flop bet will be called by overcards, 7's, pairs, gutshots, OESD, backdoor flushes, etc. This works especially well if your opponents think you're full of [censored] like most of the ones I play against do. Also, you're last to act, which could mean a bet from anything.
Old 06-08-2005, 01:56 AM

So you bet when you have nothing and check when you have something?

I'm thinking this strategy might be exploitable.
Old 06-08-2005, 02:09 AM

Default A translation

There's a difference between slowplaying and missing bets. Yes, you want players to catch up. However, if they are going to call anyways, you are missing alot of bets. Bet it at least, but raising/3- betting before the turn would be rather silly. Don't drive people out, but don't give them a free ride. Also, betting allows you to draw out good, but 2nd best hands to go toe to toe with. Nothing is better than going to war with a monster and getting people to come along!!

Not sure what happened there....must have the copied something over..