Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 04:38 AM

Default Re: Stupidity of the 11s at bubble time amazes me

[ QUOTE ]
Do these people even have any brains whatsoever????

Blinds 200-400

UTG (t50) folds
Button (t1500) raises to 800
SB (t1100) folds
Hero BB (t4750) re-raises all-in

Button calls with AQ!!!
Wins the hand and says, "I knew I'd trap you eventually"

So there's no confusion, I'm not complaining about this, their stupidity accounts for my high ROI, I just thought that you guys would find this as amusing as I did....

[/ QUOTE ]

FYI: the easiest way to avoid this in the future is to stop in go. if he raises half his stack he has committed to goin' all in preflop. However, if he misses the flop altogethor and you push.. then he stars thinking about the junk hand you mighta hit with and the guy with only 50 chips... and he most likely says "fu!K you" and folds, haha.not always, of course, but much more than with the move you pulled.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]

FYI: the easiest way to avoid this in the future is to stop in go. if he raises half his stack he has committed to goin' all in preflop. However, if he misses the flop altogethor and you push.. then he stars thinking about the junk hand you mighta hit with and the guy with only 50 chips... and he most likely says "fu!K you" and folds, haha.not always, of course, but much more than with the move you pulled.

[/ QUOTE ]

true dat
Old 06-04-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You are mis-understanding something that is very very important to learn.

PEOPLE WILL NOT ALWAYS DO WHAT THEY "SHOULD" DO.

especially in a 10+1. Your FE was probably quite low here and a push was likely incorrect with as wide a range as any two. Remember just because they 'should' fold is not an excuse for not bothering to make a read and doing what you would do if you were playing someone with half a brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

If someone had half a brain they wouldnt min raise without a monster to begin with.
Old 06-04-2005, 05:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]

If someone had half a brain they wouldnt min raise without a monster to begin with.

[/ QUOTE ]

word
Old 06-04-2005, 05:08 AM

A question for the guys that play at the high buy-ins:

If you were in my spot and the button mini-raised, would you

A) Assume that since the guy has a brain, he must have a monster to mini-raise and thus you fold OR

B) Assume that since the guy has a brain, he will recognize his mistake in mini-raising (with less than a monster) and push, knowing that if he doesn't have a monster he will most likely fold.

I'm assuming that the answer is A, since nobody at the high buy-ins would mini-raise with less than a premium hand.

UNLESS, they figure that you'll go with A and be totally ballsy and do it with junk, knowing that you will give them credit for a monster and fold. Maybe that would be a Gigabet move!!! (After reading his hand from the Mirage tournament, I would not put anything past him.)
Old 06-04-2005, 11:40 AM

I noticed you didn't post what hand you made this move with. Was it just random junk?

I think you got a little too fancy for your own good here. You forget to a lot of the people playing the 11's AQ IS a monster. And if you have been bullying the table, making simalar moves, that AQ is going to start looking even better to them.

Yah it seems kind of silly to view AQ as a trapping hand, but thats the kind of play you will see at these. And its hardly the height of stupidity to call an all in of someone you suspect (correctly) of going all in with any two using their stack to try to bully.

With the blinds at 200/400, this guy simply doesn't have the time to wait for AA to play back at you. Sure he could fold to an easy third, but if he doubles up on this hand he is in running for first, and hey he has AQ, a monster! (note I do not think Aq is a monster, but a lot of the people playing at this level do)

It looks like you outsmarted yourself a little here. You pulled a strong steal move that probably was over the head of the person you were making it on. Yah its kind of silly to think his AQ was a trapping hand, but it wasn't all that stupid for him to call your all in with it.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:52 PM

Good to see, I'm coming to sngs and will need to play at the $11s for a few days.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:24 PM

a HUGE concept almost all responders are missing is just because hero's play wasnt good doesnt mean villians play was.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:26 PM

jcm, your analysis is dead on IMO. And frankly, it would be hard to believe this fold would occur even at the $33s. Just more of the reverse gap principle.

Scuba
Old 06-04-2005, 01:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You are mis-understanding something that is very very important to learn.

PEOPLE WILL NOT ALWAYS DO WHAT THEY "SHOULD" DO.

especially in a 10+1. Your FE was probably quite low here and a push was likely incorrect with as wide a range as any two. Remember just because they 'should' fold is not an excuse for not bothering to make a read and doing what you would do if you were playing someone with half a brain.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

exactly.