Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-04-2005, 02:23 AM

Default Stupidity of the 11s at bubble time amazes me

Do these people even have any brains whatsoever????

Blinds 200-400

UTG (t50) folds
Button (t1500) raises to 800
SB (t1100) folds
Hero BB (t4750) re-raises all-in

Button calls with AQ!!!
Wins the hand and says, "I knew I'd trap you eventually"

So there's no confusion, I'm not complaining about this, their stupidity accounts for my high ROI, I just thought that you guys would find this as amusing as I did....
Old 06-04-2005, 02:47 AM

Default Re: Stupidity of the 11s at bubble time amazes me

The button's mistake was in making a minraise rather than going all-in or folding. However, I'm not convinced he made a mistake in calling your raise. If he folded, he would have 700 chips. If he called and won, he would have 3200 chips. Given that he almost certainly had the best hand, I don't believe this was a bad call. I'm interested in what others think.

However, I think you made a mistake in not recognizing that he was almost certainly pot committed. Even if you are right that he should have folded, that doesn't mean he actually would have folded. Almost nobody at the $11s makes this kind of raise and then folds.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:48 AM

Heh, yeah, the guys at the $11s have been especially frisky tonight. I don't play much on friday nights, so maybe this is how it always is? I dunno. I was going to make it my goal to play 30 SNGs tonight, but I got through three (finishing 1/0/0/2) before I just said "Screw you guys. I'll play tomorrow."

Spite calls galore. Eww. Good thing my luckbox was running smoothly.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:49 AM

Good push on your part.

Button was an idiot, oh well.

I would push in that position every time.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:04 AM

I think that with the shortstack at t50, even the most brain dead person realizes, "oh sh$#, if I lose this hand, I'm out $20 when I know that 3rd is almost guaranteed." The thought did go through my head that he might call anyway, but I figured he'd wake up when the reality of the situation hit him.

I still think it's correct to push with any two here. If his raise had been significantly larger, then no, because then he would've felt truly pot committed.

Would it be wrong to say that even though I thought he very well might call, part of my reasoning for pushing anyway was to punish him for making such a stupid play? I really wanted to read his reaction if I won with the junk that I pushed and he finished OTM. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2005, 03:04 AM

i don't care about his comment except he thought u were a maniac, but he raised half his stack on a min raise and u don't htink he's playin a good hand? I expect him to have a better than average hand since he's giving u odds no? (i'm more inclined to try to trap exactly like he did with good hands although better than AQ, a call just looks way too tricky and is sniffed out right away by a smart player, especially if he's pushin alot)? IMO he wants you're reraise no matter what he ends up holding I read this hand as him trying to get u all in.

I mean a guy raisin on the button with AQ and callin a reraise I'm SURE if he thought u would call his all in he would have pushed right away, maybe I'm missing something huge here but if i push half my stack on a pot that is already giving me decent odds i don't understand ur point in dissin him for calling, where is the mistake here??????????

maybe this is part of the reason my roi is decreasing (see declining roi post by me earlier) not trying to condescend but i don't see the wrong here other than not pushing preflop.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:08 AM

Pushing pre-flop would have been okay, his play was idiotic IMO. AQ is not a trapping hand.

You do make a good point that if I knew that he was a thinking player, I would've known that he had a monster to make this play. However, his play up to that point did not lead me to believe that he was this good of a player. Put it this way, if I were him, I would not want to play a pot for all my chips with AQ with shorty at t50. Not unless I had a high pocket pair, kings or aces, possibly queens. Nothing else.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:15 AM

Well, since we're bitching and moaning already.

Total number of players : 3
Seat 1: Dumbass (3250)
Seat 3: Hero (2010)
Seat 4: Dude (2740)
Dude posts small blind (200)
Dumbass posts big blind (400)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Hero [ Kc, As ]
Hero raises (2010) to 2010
Hero is all-In.
Dude folds.
<font color="red"> Dumbass: you go all in too much </font>
Dumbass calls (1610)
Creating Main Pot with $4220 with Hero
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 6s, 3s, 2h ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Ts ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 2c ]
** Summary **
Main Pot: 4220|
Board: [ 6s 3s 2h Ts 2c ]
Dumbass balance 5460, bet 2010, collected 4220, net +2210 <font color="red">[ 7s Tc ]</font> [ two pairs, tens and twos -- Tc,Ts,7s,2h,2c ]
Hero balance 0, lost 2010 [ Kc As ] [ a pair of twos -- As,Kc,Ts,2h,2c ]
Dude balance 2540, lost 200 (folded)

At least I was in the money, but i'm having a wicked bad run of finishing 3rd everytime i'm ITM. Driving me nuts.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Would it be wrong to say that even though I thought he very well might call, part of my reasoning for pushing anyway was to punish him for making such a stupid play? I really wanted to read his reaction if I won with the junk that I pushed and he finished OTM. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That would be very wrong. That is almost the same thing as him pushing the hand preflop and you calling him with 72o to "punish" him. The outcome would be the same either way.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:24 AM

You're right about that... obviously I would not call an all-in with junk though.