Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-03-2005, 09:39 PM

Default Re: Pooh-Bah +1 - Longish Post About Bad Players

[ QUOTE ]
ok now that we know begginers are thinking alittle different than the rest of us..
How do you think they are thinking differently.. what are they thinking? and why? any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

There's probably a million and 1 different answers to a question like this. One of the examples given in Schoonmaker's book is a rich farmer (I'm assuming this was a true story) who came to play the game just to unwind and have some fun. He would raise and reraise sometimes without even looking at his cards when he played. When asked why, he said "It just slows down the game." As bizarre as it seems to us, it makes sense to him. It makes sense to the reason he's sitting at the table.
Old 06-03-2005, 09:42 PM

Fine post Smiley, and congratulations on becoming pooh bah!
Old 06-03-2005, 11:21 PM

I'm glad I added this to my favorites before I left work so I wouldn't forget to read it.

-d
Old 06-04-2005, 12:15 AM

Great post...but you could have saved time and just asked me what I think, since I'm already a donk and probably misjudging hands left and right.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:18 AM

In watching certain players - I can see them thinking even if they are not the best players.

For example, there have been times when I observed an opponent not playing optimally - then I get into a hand with them and they call me down with bottom pair when I hit a set or something. What I notice later is that this same player begins to avoid me and starts folding pots when we get heads up, where I've raised preflop, and I keep betting (perhaps my bet was incorrect based on my previous read of this player).

So this says to me that he may still be making mistakes, but he's not making the same mistake - he's adapting his play based on his interactions with me. This is an important point - they do think, they can play different, and if you are not paying attention you can over or under play situations against these not winning players.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:08 AM

Good thought Smiley.
Old 06-04-2005, 03:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Even bad players think about the game, they try to do their best, and make smart plays. Unfortunately, most of them simply do not have the raw intellect, the knowledge, analytical abilities, or simply discipline to think about the game well enough to win.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fail to see how this is unfortunate, at least for me. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-04-2005, 04:43 AM

If i'm ever a billionaire this is definitly on my to-do list! haha I loved that story in POP.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:52 PM

That story about the farmer was true, and his reaction is quite sensible because the $500 he lost was trivial to him. If he was really nuts, he would have gone to a big game and lost $50,000.

Dan Negreanu, one of the world's greatest players, has stated in his column that he does the same sort of thing. He enters small NL tournaments, goes all in again and again, rebuys again and again, just to blow off steam. Then he doesn't have any need to gamble when the money is important.

The critically important issue is to ask yourself, "WHY is he acting that way?" Don't assume that other people have the same perceptions and motives that you have.

Miller, Sklansky and Malmuth make the same general point in SSH. Lots of people are NOT playing to win. They are playing to have a good time.

Regards,

Al
Old 06-04-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dan Negreanu, one of the world's greatest players, has stated in his column that he does the same sort of thing. He enters small NL tournaments, goes all in again and again, rebuys again and again, just to blow off steam. Then he doesn't have any need to gamble when the money is important.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's really interesting. I'd not heard that before. Just getting the gambling off your chest! I like it.

Edit: So...really, when I go bottom feeding 40 hrs/week, I'm an entertainer. Just charging people for their entertainment. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]