Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-07-2003, 11:09 AM

Default Re: 25-25 Pot limit HE

Not really.

It's true that drawing hands need odds and implied odds to be profitable. In limit poker, you achieve those from having multiple players in the pot. In big bet poker, you don't need more than one opponent to get the big payoff, because you can win so much more than just a few multiples of the big blind.

A big part of the reason to raise with drawing hands is to disguise them. That is how you get somebody with two pair to put in 100x the big blind when they're drawing to 4 outs against your straight. They put you on the overpair because of your little 3x raise preflop, and then make their 100x mistake.

It all depends upon the opposition, and how deep everybody is stacked. If the circumstances are right, almost any play can be correct.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 05-09-2003, 12:29 PM

That makes sense. But you don't think that the reason he lost the hand is because he only raised to $75 like he suggested, right?
Old 05-09-2003, 01:31 PM

Heck no. If it were true, then it would be a mistake to raise less than the max EVERY time you lose a hand to another hand that might have folded to the bigger raise.

So, yes, you are right. The point of a relatively small raise is to build the pot and disguise your hand. Which is exactly what the original poster did, and successfully so. This raise was at least partially responsible for the fact that the got the opponent to put in his money when way behind. In fact, the raise worked perfectly, you could say.

The fact that the player who made a mistake got lucky has nothing to do with the fact that he made a big mistake.

Later, Greg Raymer (FossilMan)
Old 05-12-2003, 11:12 AM

how much did the limper have when he folded? The main tragedy here is the 10 3s only having $1300 left on the turn surely! Flop bet i'd say was a great move if you were sure both players were weak, though if you'd done that often the 10-3 should really have moved on you there (or folded) if he had any sense at all - had you been following the brunson code of betting out on trips previously, I wonder?. HOWEVER, if he (forget the other guy for now) he moved on you it would have been a disaster as youre now even money pot odds for a 2-1 shot.

Really he traped himself by flat calling, but it sounds like maybe youre only mistake was game selection if yr at all unsure about this hand. (As i keep telling myself) poker isnt gambing, its just buying odds, and you had by far the best of it in this one. This is more an issue of statistics than just math, so the point is that you'd need to be able to stay in the game long enough to recoup the $$$ over the next ten times this happens and you win. Did you walk away after this one or smile and pull another 3k out of your pocket?

fly me to vegas,
jack