Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-02-2005, 03:39 PM

Default Re: 88, possibly being isolated, but he keeps jamming -- IHC

I think a key mistake in your approach to this hand can be seen right here, before play even starts:

> I'm pretty new to this table, but SB seems pretty fishy
> and MP3 seems pretty Laggy.

How "new" is "pretty new"? I would think it mighty difficult to get a real read on any decent player with very few hands. What number... I don't feel comfortable even begginning ( except in exceptional cases ) to make a read until I have at least 50 hands of information; and even then I view my read as very thin.

Note: I only post this because I read this post and then another post where a guy had an extreme read in 18 hands (18!). Does anybody else think this is much too quick?
Old 06-02-2005, 03:45 PM

Yeah, they were definitely weak reads based on a couple plays I had seen. They were a little fresher in my mind during the hand than when I wrote the post, but you're right.

As for 18 hands, I don't think you can make a rock solid read. But if you pay attention I think you could pick up enough info to slightly influence your decisions in small pots.

I know it's not *enough*, but I get more comfortable with stats after 50 hands.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:50 PM

Am I the only one that bets this flop and folds to a raise with a call? If the flop isn't raised, it seems like that would make future streets a little easier to play, too.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Note: I only post this because I read this post and then another post where a guy had an extreme read in 18 hands (18!). Does anybody else think this is much too quick?

[/ QUOTE ]
You're correct - 18 hands is nothing. 30-50 you can start to get an idea of how the guy is playing (at least in that session). Looking at 100+ (probably higher) for anything considered solid.
Old 06-02-2005, 03:54 PM

Default Results

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">4 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls.

Flop: (10 SB) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.50 BB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 3-bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.50 BB

SB has 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (one pair, threes).
Hero has 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (two pair, eights and threes).
MP3 has J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (one pair, threes).
Outcome: Hero wins 18.50 BB.

Wow, I couldn't believe it. I was ready to scold myself for calling down like a fish and then the pot started sliding my way.

It looks like I messed up pretty bad though (in theory), thanks for the constructive criticism. Learning a lesson AND winning the pot work for me. I just have to make sure I learn the lesson, and don't think "well, I was good that one time".
Old 06-02-2005, 04:01 PM

Default Re: Results

I don't even know what to say about that. That is one of the worst played hands I have ever seen. Your play was questionable, but those other two donks... wtf were they still doing in that pot? I'd love to have Screen Names for those two guys. I hope you added them to your buddy list.
Old 06-02-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Results

Yeah, I couldn't believe that SB overcalled with K high, not to mention cc'd 2 bets PF. He's already on the buddy list. I want to look over some of MP3's hands before he makes it on though.

I wonder what would have happened if I bet the river...

Still though, bad call down. But wow.