Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 09:44 PM

Default Re: hey strassa

[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying this is the end of the world. all I'm saying is it was completely unnecessary to mention 2+2 so many times. maybe he was excited that he got that opportunity. I would be too. it just didn't sit well with me that the article mentions that he made $50k last year and then right after how he posts on this great site called twoplustwo. it's not like the article just mentioned that he's a good player. it plainly said he made 50k last year as a college student. how's the typical college student going to look at that? they're going to see $$$$$$$$$$$$ and a good amount of them will make the effort.

some of you mentioned Raymer. I didn't read any interviews where he mentioned 2+2, so it's not something I've thought about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but the only place where I've seen Raymer mention 2+2 is on the back of recent 2+2 books, which is a obviously different than mentioning it in SI.
Old 05-29-2005, 09:53 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm not saying this is the end of the world. all I'm saying is it was completely unnecessary to mention 2+2 so many times. maybe he was excited that he got that opportunity. I would be too. it just didn't sit well with me that the article mentions that he made $50k last year and then right after how he posts on this great site called twoplustwo. it's not like the article just mentioned that he's a good player. it plainly said he made 50k last year as a college student. how's the typical college student going to look at that? they're going to see $$$$$$$$$$$$ and a good amount of them will make the effort.

some of you mentioned Raymer. I didn't read any interviews where he mentioned 2+2, so it's not something I've thought about.

[/ QUOTE ]

I could be wrong, but the only place where I've seen Raymer mention 2+2 is on the back of recent 2+2 books, which is a obviously different than mentioning it in SI.

[/ QUOTE ]

He's mentioned it in a few interviews, + in ads for 2+2 books in poker publications.

b
Old 05-29-2005, 09:53 PM

Ask any high limit player if the recent poker boom has helped or hurt their earn. Ask Mason or David. Their books are selling faster than hotcakes. Guess what, people move up too fast and get killed, even if they read the books. Nothing helps good players than more players reading books and rushing into higher stakes.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:00 PM

Stheif I think this attack on Strassa is way off.

I also serious doubt the online poker economy (or your poker income) consists entirely of terribly playing 5/10 6-max, 10/20, 15/30 college students. I cant tell you who exactly feeds the poker economy but the readers of SI make up a very small percentage.

This is what I would have said:

"Strassa -

Congrats on being in SI. Amazing poker has come so far! Mabye we can get a poker player on the cover before long.

I am glad 2+2 has improved your game. It definately has improved mine. I am sure it has improved sthief's. Those who want to improve will improve with or without these message boards. Congrats and continued success."
Old 05-29-2005, 10:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
how's the typical college student going to look at that? they're going to see $$$$$$$$$$$$ and a good amount of them will make the effort.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah. It will last as long as most get rich quick schemes will. Most will make the typical 1 month at most effort, realize they like playing looser than you have to, then go back to their normal bad way of playing. Or they'll complain about sites being rigged or collusion, etc..

As someone else mentioned, it's not like you just come to the site, get a card, and become an instant winner. There's alot of hard work to be done. Much of which will never be done by your average college player who's only seeing the dollar signs thinking of riches in only a couple months. If anything, they'll want to get it too quick and repeatedly blow rolls.

b
Old 05-29-2005, 10:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ask any high limit player if the recent poker boom has helped or hurt their earn. Ask Mason or David. Their books are selling faster than hotcakes. Guess what, people move up too fast and get killed, even if they read the books. Nothing helps good players than more players reading books and rushing into higher stakes.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most will read a book thinking it's the trick to winning. Except they won't really learn what's all in it. Come their first big downswing, they'll blame it on the book, since most don't cover that, and think the book is a rip off. Then they'll revert to the 'name' players book since they've seen him on tv and obviously knows what he's doing rather than these guys he's never seen.

That is IF they ever do pick up a book for the 2nd or 3rd time to read it. Most don't.

b
Old 05-29-2005, 10:06 PM

Sounds like someone's just jealous that he wasn't asked to be in the story.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I've told many friends about 2+2 and only a few of them have used it for sh1t. Most will look for a week or two but don't really have the desire.

[/ QUOTE ]

ok except we aren't talking about a few. we're talking about a lot

[/ QUOTE ]

Most will not be bright enough or determined enough for it to make a difference.

Having the right resources is less than 30% of the battle. The other 70% is actually taking the time to not only read but study and understand the materials.

If anything I view this as a positive. Anything that gets more people involved is good. Sure some players might get better because of this information, but more people will play who quite simply have no Idea what they are doing.
Old 05-29-2005, 10:52 PM

For what it's worth, I think you'll be proven wrong here. Look at the other guy that was interviewed in the article. He had no interest in learning how to play better...he was there for the rush he got when he won. I think you'll find more players that are like that rather than more players like you.
Old 05-29-2005, 11:10 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Sounds like someone's just jealous that he wasn't asked to be in the story.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, you must know me extremely well. I'm exactly the type of person who gets jealous of people.