Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-29-2005, 01:09 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)
Default hey strassa

hope selling us out was worth the pride you got from showing your friends that you were written about in SI. I also hope it's worth the hit (no matter how small it may be) your wallet will take from exposing half a million college kids who previously had no idea there were places like this and mentioning how great it was.

I've heard a lot of people say that posting strategy advice is -EV. well now it's a lot worse. I wish there was a way of seeing how many extra hits to the site that this has created.

and sorry if this has been discussed before. I just read the article and I'm pissed. I don't care what anyone says. SI is a huge magazine for typical college kid or mid-20s male, and those are the people that play poker and have no clue. now since you've mentioned how great 2+2 is, a lot of them are going to come here and buy 2+2 books.

so yeah, I hope it was worth it. at least mason will do well off this.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:16 PM

Default Re: hey strassa

MY SI subscription just expired and I did not receieve this issue. Is the article online anywhere?
Old 05-29-2005, 01:18 PM

while i see and agree with some of your points - most kids who read that article will skim through and go to the tables.

the one's who actually search out 2+2 (and then go on to read and take from it through time what they need to) are - in my opinion - the one's who were likely to find their way here anyway. Guys like us got here on our own because we were interested in getting better, and then searched out ways to do so.

someone who's interested in learning and beating the game is going to get here regardless - someone who likes playing cards and drinking beer isn't coming here no matter how many times it's printed in SI.
Old 05-29-2005, 01:22 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

it's goign to make a huge difference. it's not just the sites. it's making people aware that there are books available and the good ones to get. the first books I got were the original Super/System and Ken Warren's retarded book. I had a desire to get better but it's not that easy. people are in the dark about this stuff. there are plenty of people who, if they knew the good books to get, would read them, and knew of this site, would read it, but they just don't know what to get. I can't count on one hand how many times I've heard someone discuss Hellmuth's shitty book at a table, often as a defense for doing something stupid.

You both make correct points, but the fact remains, that this high exposure will make it easier for those who want to improved to find this place. Additionally, there are not just two types of people: Those who would find 2+2 and get better and those who wouldn't. It doesn't work like that. People fall along a spectrum, a bell curve if you will. There are some people in the middle, who may never have found 2+2 on their own, but may get the necessary push from the feature.

I don't think this article kills online poker or will ruin 2+2, but I wish it hadn't been printed.

link?

Get the sand out and STFU dude...
Old 05-29-2005, 01:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
link?

[/ QUOTE ]

it's only in print I think
Old 05-29-2005, 01:26 PM

ty
Old 05-29-2005, 01:28 PM

okay, i agree with both of those last two points...

it's tough for me to get angry though...is the idea to steal? part of me wants to beat people who are good more than just rape fish of their bets...

maybe this is due to the fact that i'm a part time player and not a pro, or someone who depends on poker for my income. i don't necessarily dislike good players at my tables...i just find it a different aspect to the way i change my play.

i guess i can't disagree with anything you both are saying...but i find it hard to say that i wish the article hadn't been written for some reason...maybe i'm a moran.