Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 12:14 AM

Default Re: Knowing you are ready (cross posted in micro)

[ QUOTE ]
Actively trying to find leaks at .5/1 is futile, because any leaks you find at .5/1 are so obvious that to have them means you lack a fundamental understanding of the game

[/ QUOTE ]

Wtf? This statement is retardo.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BaSiCaLLy DaWG, U GoTTa tRuST y0 GuT. uSe dA' f0rCE LuKe, knOW wUt i bE SaYiN'?

[/ QUOTE ]

CDC - You are the man.

[/ QUOTE ]

MaD pRoPS. MaD pRoPs. JuST RePPiN' dA' h00d.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:16 AM

Every time I've moved up levels, I found new leaks in my game that didn't show themselves because the competition sucks so bad at the previous level.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:16 AM

I started with 50$. Lost it playing all sorts of games in about 2 weeks. Next I put in another 50$ (after reading/studying WLLH, SSHE). I started at .10/.20, moved up to .25/50 once I had the BR (I had just under 300BB) and then up to .50/1, and when I had 300 BB, took on 1/2, where I still play some hands today. After reading HEPFAP and TOP, I felt very confident when I made that jump, even though I am a moody person as far as risky/conservative. I am still studying HEPFAP, will need another 6 months or so at 1/2 and 2/4, then I will take my shot at 3/6! My advice to you is to move up when you have the bankroll, and continue to learn within the poker game that most challenges you. You will learn much more IMO breaking even at 1/2, 2/4, or 3/6 than you will killing the .5/1 game for another dull year. In your failures you will learn much more than in your victories. Seek out failure (or just non-success/breaking even) as a stimulant to yourself and your approach to a game that is beaten by players that know how to adjust to changing game conditions.

Liam

PS - I became an expert level chess player with this philosophy...I lost more games than anyone I have ever met. I even payed tournament organizers under the table to put me head to head with the tournament favourite in the first round...otherwise I might not have ever played the best person there, and learned what I could about my weaknesses by being beaten.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
skipping 1/2 full sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not true at all.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you can't beat 1/2, you can't beat 2/4 or higher.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Actively trying to find leaks at .5/1 is futile, because any leaks you find at .5/1 are so obvious that to have them means you lack a fundamental understanding of the game. Every level I've moved up has also moved me into a pretty big shift in how my game progresses.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you mean, as .5/1 is often the first place many players play. I have about 10K in the nanos, where I learned the basics of PF play (although I have been finding a lot more raises of late) and simple 'fit-or-fold' poker. .5/1 has been a learning experience to say the least, as I am coming to understand equity vs odds, and lately working on my river play.

I know it is often said that a trained monkey could beat .5/1, but is a + winrate over 10K+ enough of an indicator of a simple understanding of play?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:18 AM

And?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:19 AM

has anybody else noticed cdc's posts have generally sucked as of late?
Old 05-26-2005, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I know it is often said that a trained monkey could beat .5/1, but is a + winrate over 10K+ enough of an indicator of a simple understanding of play?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd move up if I were you, yes. .5/1 is goddamn boring, anything else is so much more interesting.
Old 05-26-2005, 12:24 AM

I had like 1000 posts before I was done with .5/1, so I knew I had learned SOMETHING in all that time. I had a bankroll from hell from bonus whoring, a good winrate, and a desire to learn more. so, I moved up. plus, I knew I could always move back down.