Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2005, 01:20 AM

Default Re: Day #1 Cold Turkey

GL. I know its not totally quiting, but when I quit I actually dipped for like a month and then quit dip. It worked really well for me.

I starting smoking again though. I did quit for about 3 months though(no nicotine at all) using my dip method. I hadnt been a hard core smoker though. I only smoked for like 4 years and only about 10 cigs a day. GL though!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
GL. I know its not totally quiting, but when I quit I actually dipped for like a month and then quit dip. It worked really well for me.

I starting smoking again though. I did quit for about 3 months though(no nicotine at all) using my dip method. I hadnt been a hard core smoker though. I only smoked for like 4 years and only about 10 cigs a day. GL though!

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL you must not have read my post about the Filet Mignon, I know smoking is bad, but dipping is just redneck nasty.

Big Steve [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Old 05-25-2005, 01:34 AM

Imao, yea I saw that post. Didnt think you would go for this idea but I was just sharing. You are going to start eating like crazy soon. Great ready! You probably already knew that though. Its all mental really, if you want to quit, you can do it. GL!
Old 05-25-2005, 01:36 AM

http://quitnet.com/
Old 05-25-2005, 01:38 AM

I know a guy who works in a smoke shop who has quit cigarettes for about a month now. He smokes a few cigarillos a day (which he doesn't inhale). If he can do it with his job, I would think anyone can. Good luck (though I know it's not about luck).
Old 05-25-2005, 01:41 AM

I never smoked, but I am struggling to try to lose weight. Quitting smoking should be easier. Just one simple rule - you never touch a cigarette again ever. Make following that rule the most important thing in your life.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:32 AM

I lost my father to lung cancer about 18 months ago. When he was diagnosed with it two plus years ago both him and my mother quit cold turkey. I think that you need to have a really good reason to quit or it will not work.

Good luck and I hope it works out for you.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]

This may be old but i saw it for the first time today.

rJ

[/ QUOTE ]

I love this thing. I used to have it at work and use it to irritate smokers. I think it bugged some of them so much they had to go have a smoke to calm down.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I think it bugged some of them so much they had to go have a smoke to calm down.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm a pack/dayer and I think that's awesome.
Old 05-25-2005, 03:56 AM

As another poster mentioned, it is important to have a very strong (to yourself) reason to quit. Mine was when my second child was born. I finally decided I had put my wife and first child through enough of the smoke.

As far as method, going directly from 2 packs a day to zero is very tough. I "only" smoked a pack a day for about 8 years, but I set a target date and stepped it down over about 3 weeks until I was down to 4 cigarettes the last day. After that, whenever I wanted a smoke, I would chew a toothpick instead. That actually helped a lot, gave me something to put in my mouth besides a cigarette.

After a while, the cravings come less frequently and are less intense, but I don't think they ever go away completely. I've gone a little over 4 years of no smoking, and I still get the urge occasionally. Just remind myself why I quit and I'm ok.

Stay strong.