Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Re: Fold set of Qs?

[ QUOTE ]

A flop bet accomplishes the following things
1) You may, even though it's a long shot - win the pot. Ok, so I'm optimistic. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] It still is a small probability though.
2) If someone goes all-in, you can drop the hand. Would AKs go all-in, yes. Would AK also check-raise, yes. Not betting though gets you no feel for how the flop hit your opponents. Because you didn't re-raise pre-flop a check/all-in on the flop, even though you may be ahead, is still a reasonable drop.
3) May buy you a free showdown. Slim possibility also, but it is a possibility.

To answer your question, I'd bet a minumum of 2/3 pot on the flop. If I was flat called I wouldn't push on the turn. That sounds even more sirens and I'd hope that it would just get checked through.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm still not sure. You say you fold to a check-raise, but the AK hand that you beat does this as well as the AA/KK, and so you are folding after betting without gaining any information.

If you get flat called you say that sounds even more sirens, so you are saying that you think you may well be losing even if you get flat called.

A fold to your bet seems very unlikely. I'm probably losing if I get flat called or check-raised? Chances of the hand getting checked through seem to be almost zero, and so what am I gaining by my flop bet? I'm betting to buy information, but I don't seem to be getting any information for my money.

If I bet 25 on the flop, and get flat called, I have 50 dollars left and a pot of about 85 dollars. I'm pretty close to pot committed at this stage.

If I bet the flop and get check raised, I still don't know whether I am against AK or KK/AA, and so I have to call don't I, getting 2 to 1 on my final call?

So,if I bet the flop, I seem to be going all the way regardless of what he does. Am I wrong on this?

Betting to find out where you are is a good general rule. In this case though, he either has a very strong hand (two pair) or a super-strong hand (top or second set). He is going to play strongly whether I beat him or not, and so my bet to get information will tell me only that he is strong, but I knew that already!
Old 05-24-2005, 10:13 PM

Played perfectly from start to finish.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:06 PM

Nice line post-flop, and great restraint.

However, I probably RR PF with position on the original PFR. Then when UTG limp-3bets (likely a push), you can probably just fold safely.

-T