Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2005, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Utterly clueless play of TT early

[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, I think TT should be played strictly for set value at this stage. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]Raise preflop. You have late position. A preflop raise would have got rid of both A2 and betting after the good flop would have got rid of 55 - certainly by the turn if nothing else.

This isn't results-oriented thinking either, it's common sense - you spent 110 of your 800 (nearly 1/7th of your stack) on this hand anyway; wouldn't it have been smarter to raise to 60 initially - about half of what you spent thinking you had the best hand but too scared to bet like you KNEW you had the best hand - and fold if scare cards or reraises occured?

Worst case you spend less than the 110 you paid. Best case you win the pot.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:18 PM

Nope. If anything, most posts like this end up with the hero calling and losing to the full house on the turn [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

The bet of 15 makes plenty of sense if you're a fish that wants a free card on the flop and still thinks but isn't sure you're best on the turn. They don't know pot odds.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:19 PM

Raise the turn!!!!!!!

Your turn play was so weak it made me cry.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:20 PM

Like I said, raise the turn.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:21 PM

I like the preflop raise as well, a large PF raise. It will clear this hand right up.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
In retrospect, I think TT should be played strictly for set value at this stage. Comments?

[/ QUOTE ]Raise preflop. You have late position. A preflop raise would have got rid of both A2 and betting after the good flop would have got rid of 55 - certainly by the turn if nothing else.

This isn't results-oriented thinking either, it's common sense - you spent 110 of your 800 (nearly 1/7th of your stack) on this hand anyway; wouldn't it have been smarter to raise to 60 initially - about half of what you spent thinking you had the best hand but too scared to bet like you KNEW you had the best hand - and fold if scare cards or reraises occured?

Worst case you spend less than the 110 you paid. Best case you win the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like your thinking. But in this case, I sort of think it wouldn't work out any better. My only chance to get rid of the button would be a fairly strong flop bet, which would commit at least the same number of chips. But, of course, I have a chance to win a pot that I lost by playing as you suggest.

GG
Old 05-22-2005, 03:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Your turn play was so weak it made me cry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too. I spent t110 without giving myself any chance to win the hand.

GG
Old 05-22-2005, 04:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I like your thinking. But in this case, I sort of think it wouldn't work out any better. My only chance to get rid of the button would be a fairly strong flop bet, which would commit at least the same number of chips.

[/ QUOTE ]I raise and get one caller and the flop has no overs, I make a pot-sized bet without hesitation, or raise a teaser-continuation-type lead bet if someone in front of me did that. That screams, "I've got this hand, boys."

If that doesn't get rid of him, that turn didn't help him either and still made your hand look great. More money and he has to lay it down, open-ended or not. If he doesn't, he's making a bad play.

That might be results-oriented thinking. I'm not sure. You could be betting into Queens or Jacks, maybe, but without position they might fold thinking you have something better. Aces or Kings would have let you known by now. Someone flopping a flush or straight will be obvious through the coordinated board. You can be scared someone hit a smaller set but you can't live in fear of that or you'll never get anything done.