Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Why David?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why do you choose stud hilo? Why not omaha 8 or better? Would that not better mitigate Daniel's reading skill advantage? Or is he weak in stud hilo or particularly strong in omaha-8?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

daniel only read half of ray zee's book

[/ QUOTE ]

Or, maybe David only read half of Ray Zee's book?

[/ QUOTE ]

hehehe
Old 05-20-2005, 02:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
bump

how about that nice topic for discussion?

[/ QUOTE ]

you see what i'm talking about matt?
Old 05-20-2005, 02:33 PM

The math of stud/8 is more complex than the math of O/8. Since the math is probably David's strongest suit (and perhaps one of Daniel's weaker ones), this suggests that David choose the game where the math is most complex and important.

Conversely, the "people factor" is probably higher in HU O/8, where all personal cards are hidden (example: some high flops where steal opportunities may exist).

Also, David might have a better sense (mathematically derived) for proper 3rd street steal ratios and defective yet playable starting hands, for when to continue with a marginal steal attempt, etc. It is also probably a lot easier to intuitively recognize, HU, a semi-playable O/8 hand than a semi-playable stud/8 starting hand.

Just some guesses.
Old 05-20-2005, 02:52 PM

i think David's biggest edge in stud/8 will come from 5th street decisions unless he is aware of a counterintutive 3rd/4th play that occurs often or if Daniel plays poorly on 4th street, which seems unlikely.

still all things being equal i would think neutralizing the reading advantage is more important than gaining a math advantage. but perhaps David's reading skills are good enough that that is not true or Daniel's math skills are weak enough, or alternatively he thinks his superior hand derivation skills will mitigate Daniel's reading advantage. it can go many ways and is not clear without input on David and Daneil's relative strength. so I was hoping David would comment.

matt
Old 05-20-2005, 03:00 PM

The mob have turned haven't they.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:01 PM

Yes. I understood you the first time and to an extent share your frustration and criticism. However it has gone on for so long that my expectations of David explaining anything in detail or acknowledging when someone solves a problem he presents have gotten pretty low. It is, after all, his time. He can choose to spend it as he will and has zero obligation to me or the 2+2 community to provide insights.

Matt
Old 05-20-2005, 03:17 PM

Considering that Daniel may yet take me up at 50-40, you would perhaps forgive me if I don't yet tip my hole cards.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:21 PM

<big grin>

I was hoping you would say that.
Old 05-21-2005, 01:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes. I understood you the first time and to an extent share your frustration and criticism. However it has gone on for so long that my expectations of David explaining anything in detail or acknowledging when someone solves a problem he presents have gotten pretty low. It is, after all, his time. He can choose to spend it as he will and has zero obligation to me or the 2+2 community to provide insights.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah i hear that, i am just making sily gosip
Old 05-21-2005, 05:01 PM

David,

In Super System in your Hi Low split section you state ..."So, if your more of a mathematically-oriented player than a psychology-oriented one..this is the game for you.

I think you find Daniel's math skills suspect, and you can exploit that weakness in this game.